Battery drain (10%-3% overnight) šŸ˜²

Oddness continued today... Charged to 60%. Drove over 12 miles ... In this time it went UP to 61% (!) Then started to drop "normally". I'm not overly worried it's just slightly odd and makes for pretty unpredictable behaviour/journey planning etc more random. frustrating to have to build in higher tolerance for journey planning ...

Was it mostly downhill?.

Where I tend to take the dog at weekends it's mostly uphill on the way there and downhill on the way back, so I use a lot more charge getting there than I do getting back and i've seen the SOC actually go back up by 1% on the downhill stretch due to the regen.

Was it mostly downhill?.

Where I tend to take the dog at weekends it's mostly uphill on the way there and downhill on the way back, so I use a lot more charge getting there than I do getting back and i've seen the SOC actually go back up by 1% on the downhill stretch due to the regen.
That actually defies the laws of thermodynamics. :)

Was it mostly downhill?.

It was a hilly area but not excessively downhilly...

That actually defies the laws of thermodynamics. :)
I suspect the SOC going up is just because of rounding (I.e it's not a full 1%).

Also just to be clear I don't mean I end up with more charge than I started the journey with, I mean I've seen the SOC number increase by 1% between what it was showing at the top of a hill and the bottom of said hill.

In my Mk1, I am amazed how stable the GOM is over a period of days or even weeks. Ambient temp seems to make a difference to max charge when charging, but not thereafter.
Also, does ambient temp affect the ACTUAL miles that the car can go, rather than the GOM? Not sure how one could easily check thatā€¦.

In my Mk1, I am amazed how stable the GOM is over a period of days or even weeks. Ambient temp seems to make a difference to max charge when charging, but not thereafter.
Also, does ambient temp affect the ACTUAL miles that the car can go, rather than the GOM? Not sure how one could easily check thatā€¦.

Pretty sure it does, was travelling up the M6 on a cold/wet evening (About 5C I think it was) and car was showing 2.6Mi/Kwh

Continuing at that consumption It would have been a bit close to get home so I stopped a second time to charge. (I got better consumption for the rest of the journey likely to terrian and weather)

Also both Gridserve chargers were crap that evening, not sure if it was the chargers or the car but even the 350kw ones were only giving me 31kw.

Ideally I'd have been able to do said journey without stopping to charge but I didn't start with a particularly high SOC and the slow charging at the first location meant I didn't leave there with as high a SOC as I'd have liked.

In hindsight I should have probably tried a different charger incase I got a faulty one but it was just after getting the car so I wasn't sure how normal 31kw was given the temperatures

Yes. It's already a known thing:

What's a "known thing"?
You asked "how one could check that", I was just stating that degraded performance of the battery in the cold is a "known thing", so that check would only prove what was already known.

The question is: "Does cold weather affect the charging of the battery, and hence the resultant GOM, or does it effect the actual mileage achieved, or both?

The question is: "Does cold weather affect the charging of the battery, and hence the resultant GOM, or does it effect the actual mileage achieved, or both?
100% it affects actual mileage, that's a known property of a LiOn battery. That also has an effect on charging as the BMS will protect the battery at lower temperatures by charging it more slowly.

On the GOM, I don't know know the exact algorithm it uses to guess, but at the very least, if it's using past driving data from where it has previously been cold then that would be a yes also.

Just to add my thruppence worth. The battery is your friend. I've also noticed this tendancy for the available charge to fall off a slight cliff after a long, journey when the battery has been nicely warmed up. One day over the recent winter, I parked my Trophy LR with about 17 miles range left and returned to the car just 2 hrs later to find it showing just 1 mile range. This represented a drop of around 6-7% of the cold weather range at the time. Bit of a lesson there! More recently, in warmer temps, I noticed a drop from 15% to 12% when parked for about 45 mins. I was sort of anticipating something like this after the winter experience so not really surprised. I don't see it as a problem (now that I know about it, that is!) but as something to be aware of and to add in to the mix if making longer journeys and calculating recharge stops. Probably wise to add sufficient charge as soon as you stop, ie, while your best friend is still warm and accepting a pampering.

It's a feature of the battery technology so we need to take it into consideration and live with and around it.

On the GOM, I don't know know the exact algorithm it uses to guess, but at the very least, if it's using past driving data from where it has previously been cold then that would be a yes also.
This paper is quite interesting.

This is why I try to find somewhere to charge before setting off the morning after (if there is no destination charging).

E.g. drop the wife and kids off at the hotel and then drive to the charger and leave it there for 45 mins before returning for the evening.
Good plan. This is what I do as it takes away any stress, also charging when battery is warm.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom