Battery Heating

FearNaught

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Maybe a silly question but I can’t find the answer in the manual. What is the battery heating function for and when is it used?

Thanks from a newbie EV owner.

There isn't a manual option in the UK version, the BMS just does its thing.

I think they added a menu option to the Norway version of the MG ZS EV.

Maybe a silly question but I can’t find the answer in the manual. What is the battery heating function for and when is it used?

BMS controls it, there is also an option to warm up the battery so that it can charge faster.

There isn't a manual option in the UK version, the BMS just does its thing.

I think they added a menu option to the Norway version of the MG ZS EV.

This is the MG5 forum and there is an option to turn on the battery heating...

You can use it to pre-heat the battery before charging at a rapid charger (no benefit to a fast charger). It will consume an amount of power so make sure you have plenty left and only use it if it's really cold and you need a quicker charge.

I use the battery heater on my MG5LR when heading to a rapid in the cold - I've used an ODB2 adapter to check battery temperature and it generally rises from ambient to around 25oC when charging so heater just helps with this but at a power consumption cost.

Despite this thread being about charging the new facelift MG ZS, I suspect the principles still apply to the MG5LR battery heater

You can use it to pre-heat the battery before charging at a rapid charger (no benefit to a fast charger). It will consume an amount of power so make sure you have plenty left and only use it if it's really cold and you need a quicker charge.
Is this a MG5 forum only I was under the impression its for all mg ev owners?

You replied to this post in the MG5 forum...

Screenshot_20220220-205039-862.png

There are some things that cross over between models but I often find people post incorrect information about the MG5 assuming the thread is taking about the ZS. It is always worth checking which forum you are in before replying 🙂

It must be a Long Range only feature as there's no option on my MG5 SR.

The MG 5 LR (pre facelift 21 model) definitely has the option to turn it on manually as a virtual switch in the battery screen of the car settings. But - it having dropped below zero the other night I tried to turn it on manually before charging only to find that after about 3 seconds it automatically switched itself off again. Is there a knack to this?

The MG 5 LR (pre facelift 21 model) definitely has the option to turn it on manually as a virtual switch in the battery screen of the car settings. But - it having dropped below zero the other night I tried to turn it on manually before charging only to find that after about 3 seconds it automatically switched itself off again. Is there a knack to this?
Same as my Pre Facelift LR . I'd also be interested to see if someone has an answer o_O

Tried it this morning, it’s about 5kW of a load on the battery, mine (FL) starts in standstill but I vaguely remember that on preFL one needs to be in motion?

Last edited:
I've never turned it on manually but did notice the car had activated battery heating when charging last few times when it's been cold. Just as well as some of the charging speeds in the cold (on DC chargers at least) habe been slow lately!

It’s all about timing when it comes to use this feature, turn it on about 30min before you rapid charge, it should bring the battery temp up to 25deg and allow for faster charging rates.

True, it’s also activated when you plug in but it will take a while before you see an improvement.

I’ve also noticed that the BMS turns on the battery heating automatically during AC charging in cold weather and keeps it on even when fully charged (cell balancing ?)

Tried it this morning, it’s about 5kW of a load on the battery, mine (FL) starts in standstill but I vaguely remember that on preFL one needs to be in motion?
Tried to switch my Battery Heating on today ( preFL ) whilst in motion it immediately switch off . The outside temp was 3C . Maybe it was above a set threshold ? Maybe it's just a redundant setting ? Who knows ? I certainly can't find any reference to it in the Owner Manual o_O

Tried to switch my Battery Heating on today ( preFL ) whilst in motion it immediately switch off . The outside temp was 3C . Maybe it was above a set threshold ?

I think you are right about the threshold.

A couple of days ago, going to the car first thing in the morning, outside temperature about 0/+1C, before fully booting up the car I looked at that battery heating setting and turned it on. Surprisingly, based on previous attempts when it had turned off again almost immediately, it stayed on!

I decided to not leave it on but do wonder whether, when the temperature is very low, it is a "good idea" (or not) to have it switched on even if one is not charging the battery at the time?

I realise the message on the screen says it can help when rapid charging but is that the only time when it can be "useful"?

I realise the message on the screen says it can help when rapid charging but is that the only time when it can be "useful"?
A warm battery will always outperform a cold one. Best way to achieve this is storing the car in a heated garage before use.

Don’t think you get a net benefit considering you need the energy from the pack to heat it although I read some German owners use this feature before going onto the Autobahn apparently to prevent the BMS from reducing power when they put the foot down???

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom