Best and cheapest EV energy suppliers - June 2022

1MGEVUSER

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
As I am completely new to EVs, which UK energy suppliers would you recommend to me?

I am currently paying just under 30p per kWh and as I am awaiting for my first EV I don't currently have a home charger installed but Motability should be fitting one in the coming months.

My home has now been fitted with a smart meter, which I believe is needed in order to get cheaper nightly rates.
Currently I don't have any solar panels but want to found out more about these too.

I, would appreciate any advice you can give me.

Octopus Go or Intelligent Octopus (if you have an a compatible charge point) are worth looking at. Solar panels are great for your house base load and for EV charging if your car is at home during the day and you don't have a cheap overnight tariff.

Octopus Go or Intelligent Octopus (if you have an a compatible charge point) are worth looking at. Solar panels are great for your house base load and for EV charging if your car is at home during the day and you don't have a cheap overnight tariff.
I don't know what would I be getting from Motability with regard to the home charger. As with regards to Solar Panels, what is recommended for a 3 bed semi-detached house and the MG ZS?

Not all charge point are compatible with solar, but you should have some choice. How many panels depends on your house's base load and how many miles per day range you want to add from PV in the Summer. You'll need at least 2kWp to make it worthwhile so 6 panels or more.

I think you normally get a BP EVSE and probably not compatible with a solar and battery system. Can you pay the difference and get a Zappi?

Also 'go faster' if it is still on offer

Also 'go faster' if it is still on offer
I am coming to the end of my Octopus Go tariff and would like to shift my off-peak time to the evening. Every time I Google the Go faster tariff it doesn't come up. Is Octopus Go Faster still open? Does anyone have recent experience talking to Octopus about this tariff?

I'm still on 'go faster'.... My deal runs out in the autumn sometime. Definitely worth contacting Octopus to see of it is still on offer.

I am coming to the end of my Octopus Go tariff and would like to shift my off-peak time to the evening. Every time I Google the Go faster tariff it doesn't come up. Is Octopus Go Faster still open? Does anyone have recent experience talking to Octopus about this tariff?
You will have to email them and they will send a list of slots available.

Use this link to see current available tariffs, enter your postcode and scroll down - DO NOT click on 'Get Quote'

You may want to use the filter options to set Smart Fixed Domestic to remove the unwanted tariffs.

I'm still on 'go faster'.... My deal runs out in the autumn sometime. Definitely worth contacting Octopus to see of it is still on offer.
I will contact them once I know if my neighbour agrees to my power upgrade request. If they veto it I will have to keep my off-peak time slot during the night. If they agree then it opens up a lot of cost saving options which may include a battery system to charge at off-peak rate and discharge during peak times. Plan A is to time shift to early evening when the washer and dryer are still blasting away.

Not sure go faster will offer you an early evening slot, although definitely worth a try. The earliest I could get was 21.30 to 02.30 every night.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom