Best granny charger for the price?

I used the one that came with my MG5 for six weeks, before I got a 7kWh EVSE, without any issues.
I also have a second hand Nissan granny that has a slightly longer cable which is great.
You ask 'do any work' they can't really sell them if they don't work.

There are a few under that price on Amazon, this one on a Black Friday deal at Amazon for £145 (7.5m too, plus bag) https://***********/3ax9ret3 Reviews seem OK but I haven't used one.

I thought all new MGs came with one. Mine was in the boot, in the recess on the right.

Early MG4s came with the "normal" granny charger replaced with a Type 2 to Type 2 lead. Apparently recently delivered MG4s are now back to granny chargers.

There are often genuine MG granny chargers on eBay at reasonable prices.

Here you go @AdamMGEV if you want the MG OEM Granny unit.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I used the one that came with my MG5 for six weeks, before I got a 7kWh EVSE, without any issues.
I also have a second hand Nissan granny that has a slightly longer cable which is great.
You ask 'do any work' they can't really sell them if they don't work.
I meant does any 3 pin to type 2 work or do some only work with certain cars?

Early MG4s came with the "normal" granny charger replaced with a Type 2 to Type 2 lead. Apparently recently delivered MG4s are now back to granny chargers.

There are often genuine MG granny chargers on eBay at reasonable prices.
I had one of the first MG4's and it wasnt a granny cable. I have another MG4 on order so if that comes with a granny I might not buy one so that way i'll have one type 2 to type 2 and one granny.

I was looking at this for £150

Amazon product ASIN B08JLT449M

Be very suspicious of an item claiming to be adjustable to 16A whilst being connected to a BS1363 "13 Amp" plug/socket. As you know there's a question of safety when drawing 10A continuous, but 13A or 16A is ridiculous.

There's some rubbish sold online even through "reputable" sites like Amazon and eBay via their associates. Please be sure of what you are buying, or buy directly from a reputable seller such as Screwfix or MG.

I had one of the first MG4's and it wasnt a granny cable. I have another MG4 on order so if that comes with a granny I might not buy one so that way i'll have one type 2 to type 2 and one granny.
Adam yeh the wife’s 4 came with a T2-T2 as there was a shortage of Granny leads but I told my dealer no, thank you I wanted a granny and he got one from another car for me and swapped them over it had been use but was in perfect nik so I was happy with that.
When I purchased the 5 March 21 it came with both.
Tell them no charger no sale I would.
Les

Adam yeh the wife’s 4 came with a T2-T2 as there was a shortage of Granny leads but I told my dealer no, thank you I wanted a granny and he got one from another car for me and swapped them over it had been use but was in perfect nik so I was happy with that.
When I purchased the 5 March 21 it came with both.
Tell them no charger no sale I would.
Les
I was actually happy to get the type 2 as my current MG5 had the granny but I sold it with it, I also think type 2's are a little more expensive than the granny and I very very rarely use a granny but it is handy when we go away visiting friends and family or holiday lets ;-)

So ye this MG4 i will insist on the granny and insist that it doesnt come with the issues people have reported otherwise I won't take it, infact i'd probably like to delay it further as we dont really need it at the moment and I assume its due in the next couple of weeks.

Can anyone recommend a granny charger? Do any work?

Hi,

I bought this one a few days ago, works with an MG5 no problem at all and you can select between 6, 8, 10 or 13amp. The display shows charging data including total kWh charged. If you buy in through Amazon you can get it on 0% for a year.

Amazon product ASIN B09GBLMS8X

Yeh Adam you have to have all options covered, a type 2 is great for public chargers and untethered home chargers, but how many times have up pulled up at a public charger and it’s not working,with the granny albeit slow 2.2 kw, you can always find a 13amp supply if things get desperate some one would help you out but not everywhere as a type 2 socket that’s for sure I aways carry both.
Les

Can anyone recommend a granny charger? Do any work?
Be sure, many work OK.

Basically you chose TYPE 2 to UK 3 PIN and that’s all. It is not a rocket science.

I charge my MG4 at home, in a garage. It is few degrees warmer than outside so it gets more range. We are tenants in a rented house and I am not fully satisfied with the electrical installation in a garage, therefore I was looking for a MG certified granny 3 PIN UK charger, but with variable AMP setting. I want to choose from 6 - 8 - 10 Amps to be able to sleep calmly over night, not worried that charger will overload garage installation. During the day, I choose 10 AMP. If I want to charge longer, over night, I choose 6 AMP.

After browsing the Internet for a few days I have found and bought this one:

It is listed as MG, although not specifically MG4. I guess MG4 is a relatively new model, but the technology and compliance is the same.

I have been using that for 4 weeks now and I am fully satisfied. It is a 1 phase charger, and you can choose various cable lengths.

Hope this will help you.

Have you lost your's ?
I have four now, all from Amazon and around £130 each. All work fine and allow setting from 6 or 8 amp up to 26 amp. You can't use 26 amp though with the UK square pin plug. I have changed all to the caravan hookup round pin plug and socket. The one that came with the car is fine for travelling, but it's fixed at 10 amp.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom