Beyond angry!!!😡😡😡

macd2401

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Put my car on charge on Bothwell Street in Glasgow this evening. Came back to a note on the windscreen from a witness, telling me someone had smacked my car, then buggered off 😡😡😡

1 month I've had it. 1 bloody month. The front wing looks like a dog pissing in snow, but hey, they thoughtfully left me the reflector lens from their vehicle, and the witness left me their plate number. A quick check on askmid, and it's coming back as uninsured...

So, if anyone around Glasgow sees a black 70 plate Range Rover Velar missing their driver side reflector.... tell them I want a word with them 😡😡😡😡 and so do the cops.

Attachments

• 20210213_212424.jpg
    20210213_212424.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 188
Pretty unlikely a 70 reg Velar will actually be uninsured, fingers crossed for you.

Crap I did mine after about 6 months, difference was it was my fault and my excess was £600. The whole bill was just over £2600 for new rear door and alloy plus some trim. I was absolutely pi**ed.

Just off the phone with the Police and the insurers. Have to say, they were really nice about it, despite it being so late in the day.

Police were already working on it, since someone had called it in at the time, and both they and the insurers are happy to have a registration number to go looking for. I wasn't quite so happy to find out I'd just missed it by about half an hour...:cautious:

Unfortunately, when I went back out to check the damage again, turns out the passenger door won't open :mad: Why do I suddenly feel this is going to be worse than just a bent wing...

Just off the phone with the Police and the insurers. Have to say, they were really nice about it, despite it being so late in the day.

Police were already working on it, since someone had called it in at the time, and both they and the insurers are happy to have a registration number to go looking for. I wasn't quite so happy to find out I'd just missed it by about half an hour...:cautious:

Unfortunately, when I went back out to check the damage again, turns out the passenger door won't open :mad: Why do I suddenly feel this is going to be worse than just a bent wing...
Really gutted for you I’d be looking to mu**er someone...

Sorry to hear about your situation.
All credit to the kind person who grabbed the reg number of the car 10 / 10 that person !.
The person who hit your car will end up being prosecuted now by the police.
Leaving an accident and having no insurance is a criminal offence.
You can’t cause that much damage without knowing you have done it !.
There must be some underlying reason why they drove away ?.
Driving without permission of the owner is also a criminal offence.
Somebody could be in a lot of trouble here.
If you have no actual damage to the door, then it could just be the damage to the wing that is causing the foul condition.
I assume that the front wings are totally 100% “bolt on” with the MG ?.
Hopefully the damage is not that big of a job as you may think ?.
Really annoying regardless !.
Please let us now what the police have discovered.

What a bummer, I feel for you.. I love my cars and on the couple of occasions I have damaged them over the last 50 years....I keep going over and over how I could have avoided it. You at least are 'blame free'. It's not your fault that some "pond life" hit your car. You will have to organise its repair...which is only plastic / metal, of at worst case a new car.
But the most important thing to remember is, no one was injured...not you or members of your family....thats the really impotent bit. Be thankful for that........

But the most important thing to remember is, no one was injured...not you or members of your family....thats the really impotent bit. Be thankful for that........
Disappointed my ex wasn't in it 😉🤣

More annoyed that they left the scene without even an apology more than anything. As you say, nobody was hurt, and that's what insurance is for, a car is just a car. Just concerning that they either don't know or don't care that they hit a parked car.
If you have no actual damage to the door, then it could just be the damage to the wing that is causing the foul condition.
I assume that the front wings are totally 100% “bolt on” with the MG ?.
Hopefully the damage is not that big of a job as you may think ?.
Really annoying regardless !.
Please let us now what the police have discovered.
Looking at it in daylight, looks like the wing has been bent enough that it's closed the panel gap to the door, and that's what's catching the front edge. I haven't lifted the bonnet yet, so I'm not sure if the wing bolts on or not, but it looks like there are some lugs and brackets at the front of the wing that might be a challenge to get back in shape. Will see what the garage says on Monday. There are some cctv cameras in the area, so fingers crossed they caught some good pics.

Just concerning that they either don't know or don't care that they hit a parked car.
I can't see how anybody would not feel the bump when they hit your car ?.
Sounds like they have something to hide in my opinion.
Maybe the person driving it was NOT suppose be driving it !.

People, I highly recommend you get a dashcam.
In fact I'm going to write an article on it.
I've got a dashcam, and it has parking mode on it, but... with the cold, and the fact it's a small, and slightly older battery, it doesn't always have enough juice to power up multiple times. It tripped a few times last night, with a few buses setting it off as they passed. But by the time the incident happened, the battery was pretty done 🤦‍♂️. I've not had a chance to hardwire it in since I got the car, it's been running off the power socket on the centre console.

Has caught a fair few near misses when out and about though, so I definitely wouldn't be without one these days

How have MG been over this ? Have they given you a temporary car ? or your insurance ?
I'm insured through LV, and unfortunately I don't have courtesy car cover 🤦‍♂️. If they get the insurance company of the other vehicle, then they'll be paying for a car, and also my excess. Also, I was dumb enough to not protect my no claims bonus 🤦‍♂️. 20 odd years since I last had a claim, complacency is not a good thing.

I've got a dashcam, and it has parking mode on it, but... with the cold, and the fact it's a small, and slightly older battery, it doesn't always have enough juice to power up multiple times. It tripped a few times last night, with a few buses setting it off as they passed. But by the time the incident happened, the battery was pretty done 🤦‍♂️. I've not had a chance to hardwire it in since I got the car, it's been running off the power socket on the centre console.

Has caught a fair few near misses when out and about though, so I definitely wouldn't be without one these days
Does the MG charge up your 12v battery when its voltage drops? My Ioniq detects when the 12v voltage is low and charges it from the HV battery. Gives me an alert when I next start the car to tell me that it's happened, too. Without that, you're likely to drain the 12v battery fairly quickly. Then it's a case of maybe exploring having a separate powerbank to power the camera overnight. Keep it plugged in to the USB of the car so it gets recharged when you drive?

I'm insured through LV, and unfortunately I don't have courtesy car cover 🤦‍♂️. If they get the insurance company of the other vehicle, then they'll be paying for a car, and also my excess. Also, I was dumb enough to not protect my no claims bonus 🤦‍♂️. 20 odd years since I last had a claim, complacency is not a good thing.
You may find this useful

Does the MG charge up your 12v battery when its voltage drops? My Ioniq detects when the 12v voltage is low and charges it from the HV battery. Gives me an alert when I next start the car to tell me that it's happened, too. Without that, you're likely to drain the 12v battery fairly quickly. Then it's a case of maybe exploring having a separate powerbank to power the camera overnight. Keep it plugged in to the USB of the car so it gets recharged when you drive?
I don’t believe that it does this automatically, and it is a failing In my opinion. it should be like your car and automatically top up the 12v if it senses it getting low. You may recall a few threads about owners running their 12v batteries low because they were using when not in ‘ready’ mode. If a dashcam was hard wired into a permanently live 12v power source - and also used when parked - it would over time drain the 12v on the MG. How long this would take I don’t know 😕

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom