Beyond Frustrated!

LyraStar1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I am the frustrated, hair tearing owner of an MG ZS ev (71 plate). PLEASE can someone tell me how to resolve the issue of it constantly not starting and cutting out whilst I’m actually driving?! It’s relentless not to mention a standing joke amongst local breakdown recovery people! Sometimes it’s starts again after a few minutes, sometimes it can take an hour or more. Any anyone else have this problem?

I am the frustrated, hair tearing owner of an MG ZS ev (71 plate). PLEASE can someone tell me how to resolve the issue of it constantly not starting and cutting out whilst I’m actually driving?! It’s relentless not to mention a standing joke amongst local breakdown recovery people! Sometimes it’s starts again after a few minutes, sometimes it can take an hour or more. Any anyone else have this problem?
"Cutting out" - this is a total loss of power? Any accompanying error messages?

Seems like you need the dealer and their warranty.

What does your dealer say? This is a major safety issue.
It’s been into two dealers who say there are so many fault codes showing they down know which is the problem so they reset the computer and off we go again. MG customer service won’t discuss it unless it’s currently in a dealership but that requires it being towed there as soon as it breaks down. Not practical. Last time it went in they did their best to find out the problem but in the end they said that MG technicians just said ‘just reset it and give it her back’. The breakdown people tell me to buy a portable battery booster and just effectively jump start myself every time! The biggest worry is that I never know when it’s going to cut out….I’ve had middle of a dual carriageway, top of a hill, on a roundabout….it’s unreliability is one thing but cutting out makes it just terrifying to drive. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

"Cutting out" - this is a total loss of power? Any accompanying error messages?

Seems like you need the dealer and their warranty.
Yep, total loss. Had the police literally have to carry the car off the road.

Write a letter to your dealer. Set your expectations and by when. Obtain legal advice as to your rights and next steps beyond that, which should be stated in your letter.

Expect MG themselves to gate-keep, but beating down the door beyond that to Guy Pigounakis may get you somewhere. This has been the case previously.

‘just reset it and give it her back’ - this is an inexcusably poor response from M.G. In fact borderline criminal given that the car has a major safety issue.

"It’s been into two dealers who say there are so many fault codes showing they dont know which is the problem so they reset the computer and off we go again" Unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!

I hope they checked the 12volt battery. Loads of problems are caused by a faulty battery. Why did they suggest a battery booster? That suggests a flat battery

Who are the dealers it's been back to?

I've had a few instances of similar (have a whole thread about it) but the dealer has been more helpful than it appears yours has been. If they can't get replicate the fault (which was the case the first few times) they kept on at MG until they finally took it back to Longbridge for investigation and repair.

Worst case scenario, as said, take legal advice, and threaten to reject the car.

Your dealer should be addressing this urgently. It sounds like an electrical grounding issue. There has been a recall issued for the HS EV+ for this and i wonder if that is what is happenning to your ZS.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom