Black MG Bonnet Badge

seamust1000

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hi Lovely X Power People.....

My Aliexpress black MG bonnet badge is starting to lift, it was only held on with double sided sticky tape.

Anyone else have the same issue? What have you used to keep it stuck down? I was thinking of Gorilla or Super glue etc but don't want to ruin the original silver badge underneath.

Cheers

You can get some decent 3m tape online or try the likes of B&Q You do need to make sure it clean though to ensure adhesion, no wax etc
Agreed, the tape supplied with the badge is crap. You need 3M VHB tape and thoroughly clean the Silver badge and the back of the black badge, with Meths or even alcohol, then believe me it ain't going anywhere. 🙂👍

Mines been on nearly 5 months now.
I made sure I cleaned the existing badge with isopropol alcohol, then warmed both the chrome badge and badge cover with a hair-dryer.

I've jetted the bollox out of it, but still it remains.

Doesn't help you I know! 🤣🤣

Or.....why not plastidip it?

I bought the paint the same time I bought the badge expecting imminent failure, but so far so good.

Edit: How you getting on with 'Gert Mint' now you've had 'her' a while m8?

Last edited:
Hi Lovely X Power People.....

My Aliexpress black MG bonnet badge is starting to lift, it was only held on with double sided sticky tape.

Anyone else have the same issue? What have you used to keep it stuck down? I was thinking of Gorilla or Super glue etc but don't want to ruin the original silver badge underneath.

Cheers
NO do not glue it. My Wifes did this & here’s how to fix it properly. 1. Get some quality double sided tape. 2 get some panel wipe. 3. Peel the old tape out of the black badge then clean it inside with panel wipe. When dry lay in new tape. Now panel wipe & dry the chrome badge. Next get the section of black badge you are refitting ready to apply & with a heat gun or hair dryer warm the chrome badge from a safe distance (3 or 4 seconds is enough) then apply the black badge put a micro fibre cloth over it & press round firmly. Repeat with the rest & it wont lift again 👍

I used the supplied double sided tape. As well as putting on the inside of the new black badge, also put around the existing badge. I have had no trouble.

the main part is ‘press down firmly’
At least one minute with even pressure. That is meant to activate the glue which will in itself push out any residual non sticky chemicals

Incidentally when fitting the black badge I started from the letters and did the octagonal surround last
And as I looked at the half finished badge, I really liked the look of the chrome outer octagon with the black lettering in the middle. Was tempted ti leave it like that, as it looked very modern. Pity I didn’t take a picture.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom