Blower speed unresponsive.

Kithmo

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
My first glitch today (or was I dreaming).
I put the front demister on this morning to de-ice the light frost on the screen and as usual the fan speeds up. When the screen was clear, I pressed the demister button to turn it off and resume normal fan speed, the light on the button went off but the fan stayed on the fast (demist) speed and the fan knob didn't respond (was greyed out on the screen), I couldn't turn it down. I turned the HVAC off and back on again, the fan was still on high speed but this time the fan speed knob responded to me turning it down. It's worked as normal since.
Anyone else had this ?

527405C1-14A4-4AD7-8FA5-1BF5B41C44C0.png
I put the front demister on this morning to de-ice the light frost on the screen and as usual the fan speeds up. When the screen was clear, I pressed the demister button to turn it off and resume normal fan speed, the light on the button went off but the fan stayed on the fast (demist) speed and the fan knob didn't respond (was greyed out on the screen), I couldn't turn it down. I turned the HVAC off and back on again, the fan was still on high speed but this time the fan speed knob responded to me turning it down. It's worked as normal since.
Anyone else had this ?
Known problem @Kithmo .
Quick fix, it’s the small heater resistor pack that controls the lower speeds via the 12 volt battery.
If you have lost all your lower speeds, but can still get the MAX speed, then that is because at MAX speed, it bypasses the resistor pack.
I think the part is only about £30 replace.
Not that apply because it will be covered under warranty.

Anyone else had this ?
You haven't been playing with the engineering mode have you ?

You haven't been playing with the engineering mode have you ?
yes, but put it back to normal.
Known problem @Kithmo .
Quick fix, it’s the small heater resistor pack that controls the lower speeds via the 12 volt battery.
If you have lost all your lower speeds, but can still get the MAX speed, then that is because at MAX speed, it bypasses the resistor pack.
I think the part is only about £30 replace.
Not that apply because it will be covered under warranty.
It wasn't at max, one notch under and it started working fine after a switch off and back on again, which made it seem more like a software fault than a blown resistor.

Sounds like software glitch to me.
Maybe one should not fiddle with engineering mode?

yes, but put it back to normal.
That does sound like it was trying to be in Auto heating mode, setting the fan speed it needed not what you wanted. Perhaps a hangover from playing with the engineering mode, are you sure you put everything back to square one.

That does sound like it was trying to be in Auto heating mode, setting the fan speed it needed not what you wanted. Perhaps a hangover from playing with the engineering mode, are you sure you put everything back to square one.
Yes and I'm not going to fiddle around again to check. ;)
Funny thing yesterday, I charged and balanced the battery then put my OBD adapter in to check SOC (97%) and SOH (100%) with the app and it worked once then packed in and wouldn't connect again, while it was working the radio volume momentarily dropped a bit and the infotainment screen flickered, that's when it lost connection. So that's another thing I won't be using. :confused:

Anyone else had this ?
Not quite the same issue but when it got cold I discovered that my heating on the 5 EV wasn't going much over 20 degrees so a quick trip to the dealer and after a few attempts they found the issue and took it in and replaced it, so its nice abd toastie now, was probably never working since new but in the first few summer months I just didn't notice I don't know if its a common issue though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom