BMS Update 4 and Comfort Pack 2 Update

Sparqx

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi Everyone,

Just had my car returned to me after a service and the BMS Update 4 (15/1/2021) & Comfort Pack 2 Update (Mid 2020). I have a Rolec charger and my previous experience when charging was :

- Plug 7KW charger in, lock the doors, charger starts but delivers a 'trickle' charge until the off peak time arrives, and then ramps up to full charging capacity until the end of off peak or the car is fully charged, whichever comes first.

I believe that now I have the latest updates I shouldn't need to lock the doors for the Rolec charger to initiate charging? and also that it shouldn't 'trickle' charge anymore until the off peak time arrive, as the car is now able to 'wake up' at that time without being kept awake by the trickle charge?

If that is the case... my experience when I tried to connect it to the charger when it came back from the updates was :

• Doors unlocked, plug in 7KW charger, go to ev.energy app (which is configured to do Smart Charging (Only charge off-peak)), click on 'Boost, app says it is doing a boost charge, but Rolec charger has not changed state, dashboard on car says connected but not charging....
  • Doors locked, 7KW charger plugged in, Rolec charger starts and I believe is still doing the 'trickle' charge thing (MG badge LED breathing)

Any advice?

BTW I had to pay £132 for the pleasure of the updates :-(

Hi Everyone,

Just had my car returned to me after a service and the BMS Update 4 (15/1/2021) & Comfort Pack 2 Update (Mid 2020). I have a Rolec charger and my previous experience when charging was :

- Plug 7KW charger in, lock the doors, charger starts but delivers a 'trickle' charge until the off peak time arrives, and then ramps up to full charging capacity until the end of off peak or the car is fully charged, whichever comes first.

I believe that now I have the latest updates I shouldn't need to lock the doors for the Rolec charger to initiate charging? and also that it shouldn't 'trickle' charge anymore until the off peak time arrive, as the car is now able to 'wake up' at that time without being kept awake by the trickle charge?

If that is the case... my experience when I tried to connect it to the charger when it came back from the updates was :

• Doors unlocked, plug in 7KW charger, go to ev.energy app (which is configured to do Smart Charging (Only charge off-peak)), click on 'Boost, app says it is doing a boost charge, but Rolec charger has not changed state, dashboard on car says connected but not charging....
  • Doors locked, 7KW charger plugged in, Rolec charger starts and I believe is still doing the 'trickle' charge thing (MG badge LED breathing)

Any advice?

I had to call EV.Energy to have the trickle charge removed (It's not to do with the car) However it's still not 100% fixed, So I use the charger in "dumb" mode on weekends when electricity is cheaper.
If I plug my car in when it's on timed charged the car will say "Connected, but not charging" and it will keep "alive" for up to 10 hours to accept the charge time.
"However" if the charger wants to do several timed charges (off peak or environment benefit) once the car stops charging it will NOT wake up again for the second charge, which is why they still recommend at the moment leaving the trickle charge on.

I like to see the trickle charge in the app then at least I know I'm going to get a charge overnight ready for the morning (Octopus energy). Mine will charge on a Rapid charger with the doors open but not on my Rolec, the doors have to locked. Seems we all get something different from these updates, I don't know what updates were applied to my car prior to picking it up last year but the CP2 hasn't altered the charging.

Hi Everyone,

Any advice?

Did you have to request the update? I just had my car serviced last week and still have the same update from Nov 2019. Just been told by the dealer I have to pay to have the latest comfort pack that allows charging with doors unlocked! Surely they should be included free with the service

Did you have to request the update? I just had my car serviced last week and still have the same update from Nov 2019. Just been told by the dealer I have to pay to have the latest comfort pack that allows charging with doors unlocked! Surely they should be included free with the service
A lot of dealers charge for the Comfort 2 update because its not required for the safe running of the vehicle 😕

Yes, I had to specifically request the update. They were pretty clueless and gave some excuses about not being familiar with the complexities of the MG ZS EV and had not had any training due to Covid. We are talking about a vehicle that has been on the road since September 2019 and they still think that an excuse like that washes 18 months later...

I agree this should be part of the service and definitely included with no extra costs if you have a service plan. I guess at some point down the road the definition of 'what is not required for the safe running of the vehicle' may need to change in relation to this vehicle...the distraction of the 'Bongs', having to flick through menus to see mileage left in the 'Tank', etc. are a bit more than cosmetic!

Yes, I had to specifically request the update. They were pretty clueless and gave some excuses about not being familiar with the complexities of the MG ZS EV and had not had any training due to Covid. We are talking about a vehicle that has been on the road since September 2019 and they still think that an excuse like that washes 18 months later...

I agree this should be part of the service and definitely included with no extra costs if you have a service plan. I guess at some point down the road the definition of 'what is not required for the safe running of the vehicle' may need to change in relation to this vehicle...the distraction of the 'Bongs', having to flick through menus to see mileage left in the 'Tank', etc. are a bit more than cosmetic!
Did you have to request the bms update? That's what I'm more concerned about as the service is expensive for someone to just walk round ticking a few boxes otherwise

Hi Everyone,

Any advice?

Did they do the EVCC update that is to do with the charging???

Your wall charger doing a trickle charge until off peak when it goes full, was a workaround done by the wall charger, so you'd need to stop the wall charger from doing this and go back to working like it's supposed to (now the car has been fixed to be compliant)

Oh, you may well have got the mid feb 2021 BMS rather than the 15/1/2021....

Hi Everyone,

Any advice?

Sounds like your dealer hasn't checked the box (or whatever they do) to enable charging whilst unlocked, mine forgot as well! They're generally a clueless bunch with a few exceptions!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom