BMS Update not possible

SteveO

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,

We collected my Dad's MG ZS EV on Saturday from Cairnryan Possible MG ZS EV Newbie | MGEVs Community

I did my due diligence before purchasing to ensure all relevant updates would be applied such as;

'Comfort 2 Update' (apparently cars coming through now have this update applied)
'BMS Update'
'HV Fuse Update'

I was assured they would be but not only that, they would be listed on the invoice, which they were.

Got the car home late on Saturday evening with 60ish miles remaining only to find I couldn't get the car to charge, doors locked or unlocked made no difference.

So my Pop went home in his brand new EV that he was afraid to drive and couldn't carry out his planned journey on Sunday due to lack of range.

On Sunday we attempted the following;
  1. Plugged the car in and then locked the doors - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  2. Unlocked the car removed the plug (from the car) and reinserted it then relocked the doors - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  3. Waited until the display went blank then operated the boot lock to reawaken the display - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  4. Unlocked the car removed the plug from the car then reinserted it into the car and relocked the doors - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  5. I checked that the plug was fully inserted (again) and was locked into the car - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  6. I started to fish my phone out of my pocket to try googling for information when there was some whirring from the front and finally the car began charging.
  7. The Granny Charger was powered on every time but the Charge light was flashing green when the car was saying it was plugged in but not charging, could it be faulty?
  8. We didn't dare interrupt the car once it was charging so we left it in overnight to get a 100% charge.

Got a call from Stewart (Aftersales Manager) of Vic Youngs this afternoon to be told that they had done a VIN search against the MG Software Update list and it is NOT possible to carry out the BMS update as our car VIN doesn't fall within the approved range. It may be possible in the future but at the minute it can NOT be done.

Interestingly Stewart also told me that the first BMS update was to be a one-off for an individual customer but the particular dealership started rolling it out and Stewart reckon they would lose their MG Dealership, anyone able to confirm this or the inability to perform the BMS update?

Our VIN is SDPW7CB3FLZ128609 so would be interested if anyone else has anything similar with the BMS update.

We dealt with Callum (Sales Executive) who has been great so far, answers emails comprehensively and in good time. He is extremely sympathetic and has offered £50 compensation just for the inconvenience of Saturday night/Sunday morning. I have spoken to Callum and told him I would post this on the forum to see if what Stewart is saying is accurate or if there are any work-a-rounds available.

Not sure what to do, we have 14 days to reject the car and don't even have to give a reason however the fact the invoice states the BMS Update was carried out but obviously hasn't is certainly a reason. Then there is the complete faff of more ferry's (we are in N. Ireland) to return the car or is that up to the seller to arrange under the circumstances? Then I know my Dad will want his Leaf back but I don't know how long Vic Youngs will have it and I am positive we can't buy another 2017 30Kw with 22,000 miles for £8,750.

My Dad is 80 years old and really shouldn't be standing around outside a locked car while waiting for it to charge is not ideal, or am I being unreasonable?

Thanks for reading this far and would really appreciate any advice.

Hi SteveO it maybe as we discussed on the call tonight, you could call MG head office directly and speak to them or drop then an email and explain your concerns and see if they can help.

This sounds exactly like what happened to mine when my dealer (Chorley) applied all the updates when I collected it and the solution was to have the updates reapplied (so this was all three, Comfort2, BMS, HB Fuse, I can’t be 💯 sure which was the point of failure). When I got home car wouldn’t charge for granny, type 2 (at home or a local charger). But would work fine on a rapid. I didn’t spend as long as you identifying if I could fenangle a way for it to start charging and put enough in on the local rapid to get it back to the dealer the next day (I appreciate you don’t have that luxury, mine was only an hour away).

@SteveO I’ve crossed posted the link to what I wrote on speakEV on your thread there, but here it is here for anyone else if helpful New ZS EV dropping charge connection at home

Last edited:
Thanks guys, all interesting stuff.

I have ordered one of these;

K.H.O.N.S. EV Adapter Type 1 to Type 2 32A SAE J1772 Adapter for Type 2 Electric Vehicles Charging (SAE J1772 to IEC62196) Connected with Type 1 EV Charging Station and Type 2 EV.(0.5kg): Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Hopefully this will answer the problem with the Granny Charger as both my Dad and I have Rolec (dumb) wall points installed so we can try both to see if it starts charging (with the doors locked).

I just remembered thought the failed charge on Saturday night was at my house and the failed charge on Sunday morning was at my dads so unlikely to be the mains supply as we live miles apart.

BUT you just never know do you LOL :)

If you can try a local type-2 charger as well, that is what I did to confirm it was all type-2 (or your old I’m guessing, Leaf type-1 tethered you are buying the adapter for) AC it wasn’t working on (if connected to a DC fast charger even better if you can give it a try on CCS and see if that works).

Type 1 ? The mg is type 2
Hopefully I haven't got my 'types' mixed up but I am hoping that adapter will connect to the type 1 plug on the end of our wall boxes tethered leads and then plug into the MG.

Having owned a series of Leafs/Leaves (never did get to the bottom of the correct plural for more than one Leaf LOL) we ended up with a 3.3 & 6.6 Rolec wall points with a tethered Type 1.
If you can try a local type-2 charger as well, that is what I did to confirm it was all type-2 (or your old I’m guessing, Leaf type-1 tethered you are buying the adapter for) AC it wasn’t working on (if connected to a DC fast charger even better if you can give it a try on CCS and see if that works).
That could well be the best plan IF we can find an operating public charger within a reasonable distance.

Actually we have a charging point at work, if only I can prise the keys off my Pop for an hour I could give that a bash.

Amazing support on this forum, thanks again guys :)

Don’t know about now but wasn’t there an issue with the early MG ZS and Rolec chargers ????

No problem here with my Rolec charger - had it for a couple of months now, but admittedly not driving/charging much.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom