Headgas1

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I read several threads on here talking about the cars software/ bms updates Comfort 2 etc…. How can you tell what version the car is running on and do they update the car when you service it or do you have to pay separately or is it better to just be blissfully unaware 🤔🤔

Last edited:
You can satisfy yourself that you have everything you need firmware wise by combing through the below topic. Find a suitable OBD II dongle, download the app, and compare versions. Not for everyone, and that topic is getting pretty big now.

Upvote 0
I read several threads on here talking about the cars software/ bums updates Comfort 2 etc…. How can you tell what version the car is running on and do they update the car when you service it or do you have to pay separately or is it better to just be blissfully unaware 🤔🤔
Hi Headgas1 the older BMS will show about 456 volts when fully charged the very latest will show 450 volts,if you have had the BAD BMS the Voltage will keep dropping when fully charged and the mileage will go right down as stated by Coulomb you can see the BMS if you buy a OBDS2 module, the latest install of the BMS I think is EU01/EU1

Upvote 0
I read several threads on here talking about the cars software/ bums updates Comfort 2 etc…. How can you tell what version the car is running on and do they update the car when you service it or do you have to pay separately or is it better to just be blissfully unaware 🤔🤔
It’s a deep pool to dive into !.
If you have more than a few hours to burn, then a quick search on the forum will quickly tell you want you want to know.
Be mindful, it’s not a quick read :ROFLMAO:.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info I will check the volts as this seems the easiest way I think 🤔 it’s a second hand car @n0de which has had a service so do they update as standard when serviced if not what do I need to do to get my car updated ?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info I will check the volts as this seems the easiest way I think 🤔 it’s a second hand car @n0de which has had a service so do they update as standard when serviced if not what do I need to do to get my car updated ?
The dealer should do the bms update on the service. But thay don't allways bother. One way to tell is if you charge the car unlocked.

Upvote 0
That's what happened with mine (charging stopped with granny charger when car opened, and charging restarted when locked). I have the old BMS but get 456volts consistently after a full charge and equalisation. I also get about 160 miles on on Normal Mode and 170+ on Econ with average mph for town driving of around 16mph. So it looks like I haven't got the "bad" BMS, though equalisation can take a long time. I bought mine second-hand with 1,500 miles on the clock and it was registered in March 2021, so you'd think I would have had the 2020 BMS update installed but that wasn't the case (though I do have the Comfort 2 update). I'll probably get the BMS update before winter kicks in so I can sit in the car whilst charging.

Upvote 0
There is no telling what the dealer you take it to will do regarding updates.
You will probably have to convince them to do any firmware updates, the only one we know they have been directed instructed to do is to update the BMS on those with the fault BMS - and even then some of them aren't interested in this particularly.

The charging unlocked on AC is nothing to do with the BMS software update, it is a separate ECU firmware update - EVCC if I remember correctly.

Read up through the forum it's all been discussed in detail.
In summary - car not bonging all the time & temperature permanently shown on display means you have the comfort 2 update.

If you say to them you are having charging issues as you need to charge on an AC charger with the car unlocked, they may do the update free at your next service.

Upvote 0
One way to tell if your car has had the bms is if it charges unlocked.
I do not think so. As far as I am aware the software installed to charge unlocked is EVCC (Electric Vehicle Charging Circuit) not the BMS update. The charge while unlocked is update EVCC 1770124111, which is the latest. It is not part of the BMS 0210622EU1 update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One way to tell if your car has had the bms is if it charges unlocked.
The dealer should do the bms update on the service. But thay don't allways bother. One way to tell is if you charge the car unlocked.
That is completely false. Charging unlocked is an update to the EVCC module and is nothing to do with the battery management software (BMS) update

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom