Bodgy number plate install by dealer

shann

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I picked up my brand new ZS EV two weeks ago from MG Kedron (Brisbane). Dropped off our personal plates for the dealer to install ready for collection. As soon as I saw the car, I could see they weren't straight. It got the better of me today and I pulled them off to remount them and was shocked by what I discovered. MG has provided two mounting holes for the plates in the tailgate - appropriately spaced and nice and level. Why use those as a guide when you can whack in a couple of tek-screws wherever you fancy? My recommendation is to mount the plates yourself. Now I have unnecessary holes in my brand-new car. 😩

The garage probably didn't have the bolts with the correct thread.
How's the car apart from that?

The garage probably didn't have the bolts with the correct thread.
How's the car apart from that?
I tried to include a picture to show what was going on. There are no bolts just a guide on where to put the self tapping screws. If there were bolts - one might expect MG to have them! The car is great. We had a few days of 12v battery warnings - which have now resolved. A minor rattle in the trim on the windscreen pillar which I fixed with some foam. Apart from that all good. The app was a faff to get working. The car drives nicely and is not dissimilar to the Kona EV we used to have.

...We had a few days of 12v battery warnings - which have now resolved...

Did the battery warning resolve itself (as of it was a new battery that needed wearing in if that's even a thing) or did you have to go to the dealer? Mine is coming in a month or so and kinda want to be over-prepared for what could happen

Did the battery warning resolve itself (as of it was a new battery that needed wearing in if that's even a thing) or did you have to go to the dealer? Mine is coming in a month or so and kinda want to be over-prepared for what could happen
Hi There. It resolved itself by using the car. I did speak to the dealer and they told me that it wasn’t normal and to come and get the battery changed. But we haven’t done that. I’m fairly sure that because the car had been sitting around for a bit and because they had been doing the pre-delivery work (tinted windows, paint protection, upholstery protection etc) the 12v battery was low. The 12v battery only gets charged when you are driving. Not when the car is not being used (including not when the main battery is being charged). I’m pretty comfy that all is well - and regardless we have that 7 year warranty to rely on if we need it. Happy to answer any questions you might have when you get it home. It’s not our first ev. Simon.

Hi There. It resolved itself by using the car. I did speak to the dealer and they told me that it wasn’t normal and to come and get the battery changed. But we haven’t done that. I’m fairly sure that because the car had been sitting around for a bit and because they had been doing the pre-delivery work (tinted windows, paint protection, upholstery protection etc) the 12v battery was low. The 12v battery only gets charged when you are driving. Not when the car is not being used (including not when the main battery is being charged). I’m pretty comfy that all is well - and regardless we have that 7 year warranty to rely on if we need it. Happy to answer any questions you might have when you get it home. It’s not our first ev. Simon.
The 12 volt only has manufacturers warranty, which is usually 2 years.

Not only is it for 12 months there is a £100 limit
I think £100 limit has been removed. They will change your 12V battery for free if any problem within that 12 months. 12V battery only has 12 months warranty from the day you have purchased or received a car. Once it is expired, you have to pay for a new battery if replaced and that new battery can only rely on its manufacturer warranty.

I think £100 limit has been removed. They will change your 12V battery for free if any problem within that 12 months. 12V battery only has 12 months warranty from the day you have purchased or received a car. Once it is expired, you have to pay for a new battery if replaced and that new battery can only rely on its manufacturer warranty.
TBH, if I was changing a battery once it was out of warranty, I'd be going with the likes of Varta or one of the other brand names. Most of them give 5 year warranties these days.

I got a new battery in my old car that had a five years warranty from Halfords.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom