Rear Number plate

Lucky5

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi All,
my rear number plate is slightly crooked and it is annoying me a little.

I thought I would see if I could remedy it so popped the screws out which to my surprise were self tappers that have been used into a couple of freshly drilled holes that are showing signs of corrosion already. A couple of strips of double sided tape have been added as well which I have no issue with.

There appear to be a couple of mounting points on the tailgate still neatly covered with tape behind the plate so do you think this is taking the p…… or am I over reacting?

How have others rear plates been attached?

What, so the dealer has ignored the ready made mounting holes and just drilled into metal???
And it’s squint as well?
That’s so amateur it’s unbelievable.

Squint numberplates trigger me, I change plates a lot (three cars with private plates).
I use double sided 3M tape.

Hi All,

I thought I would see if I could remedy it so popped the screws out which to my surprise were self tappers that have been used into a couple of freshly drilled holes that are showing signs of corrosion already. A couple of strips of double sided tape have been added as well which I have no issue with.

There appear to be a couple of mounting points on the tailgate still neatly covered with tape behind the plate so do you think this is taking the p…… or am I over reacting?

Did you take any pics?

I ended up using sticky pads on mine, I'm lucky that the dealer also used sticky pads, they didn't do a great job as the plate was almost lost on the drive home, but at least no holes were drilled.

As for the dealer drilling holes to fit the number plate, that's not the first time I've heard of it, and it can cause rust issues in the future. I really don't know why they do this, it's not hard to get it straight either!

I'd be tempted to put some rust protector in the holes for now.

Like the OP the holes on mine are covered with tape but unlike Lucky5 the dealer has used them and fixed the number plate with colour coded nylon bolts.

I did take a pic of one end

C07C8F19-2483-49A8-9525-A7224E1F575C.jpeg

View attachment 16934
Bloody amateurs :mad:
And it looks like they've had two goes at it.

You have two choices.
1. Complain to the service department and general manager and ask why they couldn't use the proper holes and get it corrected.
or
2. Correct it yourself. Paint the holes with rust preventer and buy some stainless steel self tappers.

You have two choices.
1. Complain to the service department and general manager and ask why they couldn't use the proper holes and get it corrected.
or
2. Correct it yourself. Paint the holes with rust preventer and buy some stainless steel self tappers.
Yes, it has taken the shine off of the car along with the other issue.

Anyone with a trophy want to run the battery down to say 15% charge and let me know how it accelerates and what your top speed is?

I have about 60mph give or take at 60% power for accelerating up to that speed and 50mph ish at 10%

Yes, it has taken the shine off of the car along with the other issue.

Anyone with a trophy want to run the battery down to say 15% charge and let me know how it accelerates and what your top speed is?

I have about 60mph give or take at 60% power for accelerating up to that speed and 50mph ish at 10%
There have been quite a few reports of SR cars losing power/ acceleration, not that many on the long range models. Could just be power saving as your soc is low. There is a big thread on it, will be worth a read

There have been quite a few reports of SR cars losing power/ acceleration, not that many on the long range models. Could just be power saving as your soc is low. There is a big thread on it, will be worth a read
Yes, I have read that and no other trophies or long range cars seem to suffer. It started at 23% this morning from cold so the final 50miles of range are essentially only available at slowly reducing speeds. None of our other Evs have ever done this until you hit tortoise/turtle at just a few percent left.

Zero warnings are given either so it was a surprise when I went to pass an HGV over a mile before my motorway exit and found that computer says NO

Yes, I have read that and no other trophies or long range cars seem to suffer. It started at 23% this morning from cold so the final 50miles of range are essentially only available at slowly reducing speeds. None of our other Evs have ever done this until you hit tortoise/turtle at just a few percent left.

Zero warnings are given either so it was a surprise when I went to pass an HGV over a mile before my motorway exit and found that computer says NO
Sounds like an issue then, judging by the way the dealer mounted your plate, it wouldn't fill me full of confidence in their ability to diagnose and fix faults

There definitely are trophy owners reporting the lack of top speed issue in ‘my’ thread.

View attachment 16934
That’s terrible! It would really wind me up. Shows a complete lack of care or consideration for what might happen in the future to the drilled panel. Once again it takes the shine off what should be an enjoyable new car. Coupled with the power issue now I see 😡

You have two choices.
or
Or some anti theft screws. Numberplate theft where I live is a major headache.

Hi All,

Hi - just as a cross post, same arrangement on our MG HS PHEV and it’s caused the tailgate to rust badly At less than 2 years. The whole number plate mounting arrangement is very amateur.

Attachments

• A5B28422-436D-460A-8B0D-B2F35E0AE8DE.jpeg
    A5B28422-436D-460A-8B0D-B2F35E0AE8DE.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 101
My rear number plate looked completely wonky and when I unscrewed it thankfully the garage had used the pretapped screw holes but just drilled the holes in the plate at 2 different levels.

I ordered a nice new plate from sureplates.co.uk and bought a surround from amazon Amazon product ASIN B00IG9BK7O

My rear number plate looked completely wonky and when I unscrewed it thankfully the garage had used the pretapped screw holes but just drilled the holes in the plate at 2 different levels.

I ordered a nice new plate from sureplates.co.uk and bought a surround from amazon Amazon product ASIN B00IG9BK7O
That's sort of lucky and unlucky.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel