Bonnet Supports

Frank

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All I thought I would post this thread to show you the bonnet supports I have fitted. It makes it a lot easier to open the bonnet when checking fluids etc etc. Pop the bonnet, release the catch and give it a gentle lift and the bonnet opens itself, and no bonnet support is in the way.

Hood stays.JPG

This is where you can buy them: struts they came quite quickly and if you need help to fit just ask.

Regards

Frank

PS When you open the link and look at the photographs you will notice (or you may not) that the mounting points they show are NOT the ones I used. I spent quite a bit of time wondering if they had sent me the wrong struts because if you tried to fit them as per their photographs you would find the struts about 25cm too short.

Last edited:
I like those, very neat installation. They must be very strong to work at those angles.

They look really cool. My mini opens like this and I love it. So much easier than the metal pole it comes with and more secure feeling too.

They look really cool. My mini opens like this and I love it. So much easier than the metal pole it comes with and more secure feeling too.
Yes, you are right, no way will the bonnet inadvertently fall on your head with the stays fitted.

Regards

Frank

Hi Paulie68,

Yes there is lots on Ali Express, there is coloured ones as well but I am quite happy with the ones I have given the link to. At least I know they fit and the quality seems good and above all not too expensive. The seller is fairly quick to send them unlike some of the other items.

Above all I am happy to recommend them, but as said before disregard the fitting instructions they give as they are not right for our car (might be ok for the petrol version, I don't know).

FYI, there is two possible mounting points you can use on the car. I used both, one of them is not suitable but the one I used as shown on my photograph is. The piston end attaches as you said to the top hinge of the bonnet.

Regards

Frank

Hi Paulie68,

Yes there is lots on Ali Express, there is coloured ones as well but I am quite happy with the ones I have given the link to. At least I know they fit and the quality seems good and above all not too expensive. The seller is fairly quick to send them unlike some of the other items.

Above all I am happy to recommend them, but as said before disregard the fitting instructions they give as they are not right for our car (might be ok for the petrol version, I don't know).

FYI, there is two possible mounting points you can use on the car. I used both, one of them is not suitable but the one I used as shown on my photograph is. The piston end attaches as you said to the top hinge of the bonnet.

Regards

Frank

I bought a set from your link last night :) Where you have them bolted on looks "factory" to me, the photo's in the listing don't!!

I bought a set from your link last night :) Where you have them bolted on looks "factory" to me, the photo's in the listing don't!!
Give me a call when you get them and if you need any help fitting them. Just one point to note when you have fitted the little ball joint thingy to the car, attach the car end first and then the bonnet end. I done it myself and had to compress the strut slightly to fit the bonnet end but thinking about it, if you have a helper you could move the bonnet until the bonnet lines up with the strut.

Regards

Frank

PS I am considering fitting the electric kit for the boot but it is a bit expensive at $391 dollars, again you can get it on Ali Express, they also throw in a foot sensor for $1 (about $30 on its own) if you buy the kit where you can wave you foot under the door to open it hands free!!!

Give me a call when you get them and if you need any help fitting them. Just one point to note when you have fitted the little ball joint thingy to the car, attach the car end first and then the bonnet end. I done it myself and had to compress the strut slightly to fit the bonnet end but thinking about it, if you have a helper you could move the bonnet until the bonnet lines up with the strut.

Regards

Frank

PS I am considering fitting the electric kit for the boot but it is a bit expensive at $391 dollars, again you can get it on Ali Express, they also throw in a foot sensor for $1 (about $30 on its own) if you buy the kit where you can wave you foot under the door to open it hands free!!!

Don't forget you'll get stung for VAT and Import Duty on the boot kit as well (although some sellers will state a lower value to help with this if asked ;) ) So it's even more expensive! I'll be very interested to see a write up on fitting if you do get one, it looks quite involved.

Don't forget you'll get stung for VAT and Import Duty on the boot kit as well (although some sellers will state a lower value to help with this if asked ;) ) So it's even more expensive! I'll be very interested to see a write up on fitting if you do get one, it looks quite involved.
Oops, thanks, forgot about that as ALL my items bought from Ali Express have been below the threshold. I will not bother as fitting might not be so easy and I do not want a 20% increase in the price.

Regards

Frank

Hi,

Thought you were having a play on words of my name, until it clicked. yes a frunk would be handy also might double up as an extra level of soundproofing.

Regards

Fronk
Haha yes I saw my word trick too while writing it Frank, but I only meant it like a serious question. Been searching for a frunk myself but no luck so far.

Brilliant Frank. Looking at your installation, the hinges are behind the rubber seal line. Does this not interfere with this, or is it an optical illusion? Many thanks

Brilliant Frank. Looking at your installation, the hinges are behind the rubber seal line. Does this not interfere with this, or is it an optical illusion? Many thanks
Hi Dave,

The attachment points are:-

car side:- opposite to the headlamp mounting bolt (black plastic track) there is a bolt, take it out and replace it with the chrome knob thingy that comes with the kit and therefore what ever the original bolt was there for is replaced with the chrome knob thingy.

Bonnet side:- The black knob thingy you also get with the kit goes on to the top hinge of the bonnet. Unscrew the nut and attach the bonnet end and screw it up again, as simple as that.

The strut is attached with the thin end (the piston) to the chrome end and the black end (the chamber) to the bonnet hinge.

When you close the bonnet the black bit settles into the space as you noticed behind the rubber seal, not all of it, just about a half of it and it works perfectly, open the bonnet, undo the catch give it a gentle lift to about 6 inches and the bonnet goes up itself, bobs you uncle, no need to use the original stay unless you want to.

Regards

Frank

What is so wrong with the original bonnet support. I don't see any point in changing something that is only used every now and then. Isn't it voiding the warranty if you keep changing things?

What is so wrong with the original bonnet support. I don't see any point in changing something that is only used every now and then. Isn't it voiding the warranty if you keep changing things?

Hi ging353,

I know, there is nothing wrong with the original bonnet support but I like doing things like this, I am always changing bits and pieces on my computer, RAM, Graphics Card etc etc and as I don't smoke or drink (any more) I spend my money this way. Some people have never flown on a plane or been abroad and have no wish to do so and I can't see the point in staying in your own country without seeing a little bit of the world. Nowt strange as folk, you might do something that I don't see the point of?

Have a look at my showcase "share some accessories on my Excite (I wanted the Exclusive but as you will see from my blurb it would have meant another 3 months wait) you will probably think "whats the point" on a lot of the things I have done.

Warranty Issues would ONLY be a problem if it can be attributed to the claim you are trying to make, and bonnet stays will NOT affect anything that I can think off, but you are right in principle and you should be thoughtful of what you are doing. A lot of diesel owners get their cars ECU remapped and that is definitely a upgrade that could affect a warranty claim on the engine and possibly the drivetrain and clutch and auto box because the dealer could argue that the original components were not designed for the power and torque increase (what most ECU Mappers want) and you would be up the creek without a paddle.

Regards

Frank

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread but, whilst were on the subject of opening the bonnet to check things, does the car have a low washer fluid warning or is that something we need to check under the (heavy) bonnet ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom