Box/cover for tethered charger

Dekkerb

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi. Still not finally decided on charger. Delays with installers quotes etc. Looking at OHME. Seen good reviews but wondered what you thought about getting some sort of box/cover so that charger/cable is not on view. Good/bad idea? Anybody got one? Thanks

Just be careful in the summer the temperature in your enclosure doesn't get too warm and the charger shuts off. Not an issue if you only charge at night I suppose.

I've gone down the untethered route, Sync EV (small and unobtrusive) with a separate cable stored in a secure box so it's on hand but can't get stolen or look too out of place.

Or just put the box in the garage and have a short bit of cable outside 😉

Attachments

• IMG_20210919_113129~2.jpg
    IMG_20210919_113129~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
Ohme Home Pro is a good charger. Ordered through Ohme and installed by LCS Energy.
Just need to do some simple maths on the percentage you want to add and then pick the time you want the charger to finish charging. That way you can charge overnight using cheaper energy deals and be greener as the electric grid is typically awash with wind turbine power overnight.
I have added black tape over the colourful led strips on the charger to make it less obvious on the side of the house. It is a nice small unit. I was keen on buying a tethered charger for convenience, but as others suggest untethered can be neater.

Hi. Still not finally decided on charger. Delays with installers quotes etc. Looking at OHME. Seen good reviews but wondered what you thought about getting some sort of box/cover so that charger/cable is not on view. Good/bad idea? Anybody got one? Thanks
I went for a rolec charger you can lock it with the app from your phone.

Just be careful in the summer the temperature in your enclosure doesn't get too warm and the charger shuts off. Not an issue if you only charge at night I suppose.

I've gone down the untethered route, Sync EV (small and unobtrusive) with a separate cable stored in a secure box so it's on hand but can't get stolen or look too out of place.
Hi Ozzie
I also have the Synev charger untethered as its fixed on the front of house so i didn't want a cable hanging for cosmetic reasons.

Hi Ozzie
I also have the Synev charger untethered as its fixed on the front of house so i didn't want a cable hanging for cosmetic reasons.
On the other side of the coin I'm so glad I went for tethered. No messing about getting cables out/putting then away, just a 30 second job, park and plug in.

On the other side of the coin I'm so glad I went for tethered. No messing about getting cables out/putting then away, just a 30 second job, park and plug in.
In a few years when I can afford to sort my driveway out I'll be able to put the charger in a better place and may then change to a tethered unit for the reasons you describe. I read on another forum Sync EV are developing one and that it could fit the same enclosure so cost would be reduced a little.

Each to their own 👍

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom