BP dropping the charging price on ultra fast chargers

However they reclaim their tax, we will not be saving money by driving an EV

Why is it illegal to steal?
Because the government doesn't like competition :)

I’m sure that the high cost of rapid charging must put many people off travelling further than the car can do on a round trip. The rates are ridiculous. Add to that the still flakey infrastructure.
It is inevitable though that as more and more EV’s hit the road the revenue lost compared to ICE will not be forgotten and will in some form be clawed back by His Majesties Government.

We will all pay more money no matter what scheme they come up with
I would imagine after 2030, petrol and diesel will steadily increase in price to the point where only the rich and famous can afford it, so they can drive their supercar collections

I’m sure that the high cost of rapid charging must put many people off travelling further than the car can do on a round trip. The rates are ridiculous. Add to that the still flakey infrastructure.
It is inevitable though that as more and more EV’s hit the road the revenue lost compared to ICE will not be forgotten and will in some form be clawed back by His Majesties Government.
No more off-putting for a round trip than paying for petrol or diesel. The higher upfront cost has already been incurred so would not be a relevant cost is deciding to use an ICE you may own or an EV you may own. It's also possible to charge at the other end eg at a holiday property or relatives ( paying them what it costs them of course and a little bit extra as a thank you.) as this will be cheaper than only using rapids. I accept on long journeys using rapids, I will be paying petrol fuel level prices for some element of the journey. It would not put me off just as it did not put me off when I had an ICE car. Ease of charge would always take priority in such circumstances rather than hunting around for the cheapest possible rapid.

We will all pay more money no matter what scheme they come up with
I would imagine after 2030, petrol and diesel will steadily increase in price to the point where only the rich and famous can afford it, so they can drive their supercar collections
No reason why post 2030 we shouldn't be paying the same amount as we were paying with ICE cars before buying an EV.

I fully expect cost parity in running an EV versus an ICE in the near future. Cost saving is not the main reason we are moving away from burning fossil fuels, so why should the economics be any different? Sure, as an incentive for early adopters, we've all benefitted from lower motoring costs but there is no logical reason this should continue. If you want to lower your costs, then solar is an effective way forward and it reduces your impact on the environment further than using grid electric.

I fully expect cost parity in running an EV versus an ICE in the near future. Cost saving is not the main reason we are moving away from burning fossil fuels, so why should the economics be any different? Sure, as an incentive for early adopters, we've all benefitted from lower motoring costs but there is no logical reason this should continue. If you want to lower your costs, then solar is an effective way forward and it reduces your impact on the environment further than using grid electric.
Post 2030 I think rather than a financial incentive for early adopters to EVs, there will be a penalty for those continuing on with ICE cars. Economic penalties employed to drive down pollution. This can be fuel duty (though less than now) in addition to per mile road charges (for all) plus any number of local council ULEZ or similar.

Solar is a joke in this country and it always will be due to the regular overcast weather.
I was quoted £14000 for a solar and battery system and when i looked at the predicted daily generation by month which was very ambitious and likely to much less, it became very clear that i would not benefit much from fitting the system
It would take me about 12 years to get any sort of payback on my initial investment, and by then the panels and batteries will be knackered and likely need replacing, so its another false economy.

The true benefit goes to the power companies because they get a reduction in demand on the grid, and they will buy the extra power you generate during summer for a about £0.03 per kwh and then sell it back to you for about £0.60 per kwh
The Uk is much more suited to wind, wave and hydro power. Solar panels are more suited for the desert which is basked in sunshine all year round

I know a few people who jumped on the solar bandwagon, and they are regret it because they are not getting what they were promised

Attachments

• solar.JPG
    solar.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 42
Post 2030 I think rather than a financial incentive for early adopters to EVs, there will be a penalty for those continuing on with ICE cars. Economic penalties employed to drive down pollution. This can be fuel duty (though less than now) in addition to per mile road charges (for all) plus any number of local council ULEZ or similar.
The power for our EV's mostly comes from fossil fuel power stations, we have only shifted the pollution to another source. Even if you signed up to a green energy supplier, if you follow the power cables from your home they will lead to a coal power station :)

The power for our EV's mostly comes from fossil fuel power stations, we have only shifted the pollution to another source. Even if you signed up to a green energy supplier, if you follow the power cables from your home they will lead to a coal power station :)
Some of the electricity comes from gas power stations which will give out CO2. However ICE vehicles spew out a lot of other nasties on the streets we live and walk down that EVs do not, either on the street or in some of the power stations.

Some of the electricity comes from gas power stations which will give out CO2. However ICE vehicles spew out a lot of other nasties on the streets we live and walk down that EVs do not, either on the street or in some of the power stations.
and power stations dont spew out to the atmosphere which falls on the streets we live?

The trouble with most people is, out of sight out of mind works too well.
Its the same as anyone who claims they dont pollute because they recycle, they dont care that our country takes what we recycle, then pay Third World countries to take it, and they throw it in the sea.

Do you honestly believe any company can be next zero? All those that claim they are just offset their pollution and sell it to other countries, its just more BS that looks and sounds good but does next to nothing.

Solar is a joke in this country and it always will be due to the regular overcast weather.
I was quoted £14000 for a solar and battery system and when i looked at the predicted daily generation by month which was very ambitious and likely to much less, it became very clear that i would not benefit much from fitting the system
It would take me about 12 years to get any sort of payback on my initial investment, and by then the panels and batteries will be knackered and likely need replacing, so its another false economy.

The true benefit goes to the power companies because they get a reduction in demand on the grid, and they will buy the extra power you generate during summer for a about £0.03 per kwh and then sell it back to you for about £0.60 per kwh
The Uk is much more suited to wind, wave and hydro power. Solar panels are more suited for the desert which is basked in sunshine all year round

I know a few people who jumped on the solar bandwagon, and they are regret it because they are not getting what they were promised
Our system was installed last September. It's a modest 4.8 kW thirteen panel west facing system with 10 kWh battery storage, so not the best since south facing is optimal. It is on track to pay for itself in 5 years based on my current Octopus Go tariff. When we had it installed, I calculated payback to be just over 9 years. So, based on my real-world experience, I don't consider it to be a joke at all. January and February so far have been modest in their yield, but I have been charging the battery up overnight during the off-peak period and discharging during peak times, which has been saving us just under £100 a month on top of the solar that's being generated. Who wouldn't put money into a savings account that paid up to 20% interest tax-free?

In the UK, less than 50% of the power generated is from fossil fuels. A couple of relevant links: -

BTW, you don't need a bright sunny day for the panels to generate electric, that is a myth as I've seen it with my own eyes! If you want to do some checking on the viability of solar from an independent source based on years of real-world data the PHOTOVOLTAIC GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SYSTEM service set up and maintained by the EC is actually extremely useful. It can be accessed here:

and power stations dont spew out to the atmosphere which falls on the streets we live?

The trouble with most people is, out of sight out of mind works too well.
Its the same as anyone who claims they dont pollute because they recycle, they dont care that our country takes what we recycle, then pay Third World countries to take it, and they throw it in the sea.

Do you honestly believe any company can be next zero? All those that claim they are just offset their pollution and sell it to other countries, its just more BS that looks and sounds good but does next to nothing.
There is no logical line of argument that an EV is as polluting as an ICE car. Daily Mail readers tend to keep parroting this concept.

Michael, in my opinion most things you have come up with in this thread are not true at all, or are only partly true, are only part of the story, or are simply cynical. I'm not going to go through and debunk all your statements but I do hope that others don't take them all at face value.

218 is the claimed range on mine so I'd guess at 180-190 in warmer weather
I live in Lancashire so I have hills and poor weather on most of my journeys
I live in the highlands and believe me 220 in summer is well achievable, best I've done was 250 in slow traffic on a hot day.

/edit My car's wltp is 214 miles

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom