Bradford to Biscarosse - our trip to Southern France

Nice trip.
As a French resident, I tend not to use autoroute chargers, but go for chargers just by a junction, which tend to be cheaper, (and a bit slower).
I use Izivia (EDF's own) and Mobive (Nouvel Aquitaine) rfids , using Abrp to find and filter out the slower chargers, and when not in a hurry, use Abrp recommendation to run at 80-90kph and enjoy the scenic routes!
Problem is a lot of those limit membership to citizens of their nation so outsiders have to use generic cards like chargemap or electromaps or new motion.

Spain is really bad for that.

Problem is a lot of those limit membership to citizens of their nation so outsiders have to use generic cards like chargemap or electromaps or new motion.

Spain is really bad for that.
I've asked Izivia and Mobive if a Brit - albeit with a French bank account - we used to live there - can get membership, just an hour or two ago so no reply as to yes/no/merde alors yet.

Some Spanish chargers require a Spanish Address, bank & Tax number. It took me weeks by email to sort a work around with one but no luck with another.

Some Spanish chargers require a Spanish Address, bank & Tax number. It took me weeks by email to sort a work around with one but no luck with another.
I've still had no reply from the 2 charge firms mentioned - prob fubd out if I try to sign up. But I've been impressed by Izivia's coverage of Normandy, Pas de Calais areas - and they're in Belgium where we go to see the grandchildren. I've just heard about Chargemap - don't know much about it but it was set up years back and claims to have wide coverage -and no monthly subs fee.

You can generate a Spanish address if that's all you need, no idea about bank and tax numbers. :cool:

And THIS is just one of the millions of things that are wrong with EV charging and why, until it is addressed, EV take up will remain niche - can you imaging driving into a filling station and, before you were allowed to pour 70-odd litres of squashed dinosaurs into your car the garage attendant asks you for an address, tax number and who you bank with?

Utterly insane (along with having to have elevnty-seven different flavours of apps on my phone and a glovebox overflowing with RFID cards all 'just in case').

Last edited:
For my trip to France, I used
Chargemap card - applied in advance for the physical card
Ionity App
Fastned App

Those three covered me for every charger I visited.
There are some much better guides to all the apps you should download in other threads

I total agree with @JohnInFrance BTW (even though you clearly own far too many cars for your own good!)

For the foreign travellers, do you know roughly what it cost to charge from 20% to 80% on a CCS charger? Whether it be based on the number of minutes or the units used. Or any other pukka figure I can use in a calculation. I'm interested in France, Spain and Portugal.

Only I'm trying to price up driving to the Algarve and my assumptions make it look considerably more expensive than flying, even with luggage, airport parking ad car hire for the duration of my holiday. (I have priced in 3 hotel stops along the way, in each direction, which doesn't help)

I'm also having to guesstimate consumption over a long trip. I am also excluding toll motorways.

You were clearly getting longer range than me then. After charging to 85% we were looking to recharge after max 2 hours. We had a roofbox and a car full. But were also stopping where ABRP recommended on the route plan
Well there's the reason you had to stop more often to charge, the roof box would kill the range

For the foreign travellers, do you know roughly what it cost to charge from 20% to 80% on a CCS charger? Whether it be based on the number of minutes or the units used. Or any other pukka figure I can use in a calculation. I'm interested in France, Spain and Portugal.

Only I'm trying to price up driving to the Algarve and my assumptions make it look considerably more expensive than flying, even with luggage, airport parking ad car hire for the duration of my holiday. (I have priced in 3 hotel stops along the way, in each direction, which doesn't help)

I'm also having to guesstimate consumption over a long trip. I am also excluding toll motorways.
Use Accor hotels website and book their economy hotels then it's £30 per night

It varies a lot. But Rapid chargers are up to 70c per kWh.
On the ionity chargers in France I paid between €20 and €30 to deliver 40kwh. For budgeting purposes I'd suggest €25

Quote Reply

Well there's the reason you had to stop more often to charge, the roof box would kill the range
Yes you're right, but interestingly my route planner (ABRP) didn't know that and still scheduled those stops quite frequently. I may have spent a little longer at each charge point than needed, but regardless, it still suggested frequent stops.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom