Brake lights

Jeff

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just got the MG5ev and is it right that on kers3 the brake lights do not come on, the mg z's ev I had used to, or is there a fault with the car

Definitely come on in Kers 3 (possibly even in 2). Was warned by the salesman as it was a question he had been asked frequently but wasn’t in the manual.

It’s all to do with the G-force. We’ve spoken about it on the pod a few times. When the car is over a specific force the lights activate. Sorry can’t remember how many G’s...

As mine do not come on I will need to take it back to the garage.

We have discussed this elsewhere, but it would be great to be able to see when the brake lights come on whilst driving. Various suggestions have been made - including a small mirror to reflect the high level brake light. I suppose that it would be easy enough to rig up a small led to the brake light wire somewhere.

Believe it's over -0.3G before the brake lights come in automatically, mine don't come on with kers 3 but work perfectly on the foot peddle

0.3g implies, your car should decelerate by 10.5kmph or 4.07mph every second. Which means car at 60mph should come to standstill in 15 seconds.

0.3g implies, your car should decelerate by 10.5kmph or 4.07mph every second. Which means car at 60mph should come to standstill in 15 seconds.
Yes it can be pretty rapid deceleration below 40 mph but seems less above this speed

We have discussed this elsewhere, but it would be great to be able to see when the brake lights come on whilst driving. Various suggestions have been made - including a small mirror to reflect the high level brake light. I suppose that it would be easy enough to rig up a small led to the brake light wire somewhere.
That applies to every car I have ever owned - can't think why manufacturers don't provide a brake light tally on the dash somewhere - would have been trickier before the days of LEDs and info displays, but now it seems a no-brainer.
As you suggest, once out of warranty (2028!), should be easy to fit a repeater led dangling somewhere.
With KERS it is would be even more useful

I‘m considering a small led just at the back of where the high level brake light is on the ZS. It would be a nice neat fit and take power straight off the supply to the led brake light. You could then see the small red light when the brake lights were on from your rear view mirror.
(My Model3 shows all lights that are on, on a schematic of the car - including brake lights, indicators, headlights etc which has spoilt me a bit).
I’m not too fussed about this when using the friction brakes as I’m pretty sure the brake lights illuminate then. It’s the regen brake lights that it would be good to see as I’m not too sure that these give much warning to other road users - I tend to get quite a lot of drivers who rely on brake lights, backing up to me when I slow under regen only.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom