Brake squeal when reversing?

Wychall

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I am experiencing a piercing squeal when reversing, from the o/s rear wheel. Has anyone else experienced this or am I a one off? Only done 600 miles since buying as I was fed up of getting my spanners out. Time to dust them off again?

It could be a small stone/piece of road chipping stuck behind the brake disc.

My brakes are pretty squeaky. Lots of people on the Facebook group have experienced similar. I took it into the dealer who stripped them down and lubricated everything but it's not fixed it. I'm not overly worried.

I imagine it's partly because the brakes are always fighting against the strong 'creep' of the car while you're manoeuvring.

My brakes are pretty squeaky. Lots of people on the Facebook group have experienced similar. I took it into the dealer who stripped them down and lubricated everything but it's not fixed it. I'm not overly worried.

I imagine it's partly because the brakes are always fighting against the strong 'creep' of the car while you're manoeuvring.
A bit of a difference between a "piercing squeal" and "squeaky" I think though. :LOL:

What is the best FB group for the MG5?

I have a similar thing when reversing off my drive with full left lock on but only here no where else think it’s the camber on my driveway

I too have a slight squeal when using the breaks while reversing.

Exactly the same here; full left lock reversing off my inclined drive. Only happens rarely and nowhere else.

Is it the brakes or is it the tyres though ?
Some cars have very weird steering angles on full lock when reversing, causing the tyres to squeal or skid a bit.
All the Ford Mondeos I've owned either squealed or sounded like they were skidding on full lock in reverse, depending on the road surface.

Understandable from the front tyres but this noise comes from the rear even at very low speed on a loose surface.

My n/s rear brake squeaks loudly first thing in the morning when reversing off the drive and sometimes makes a slight noise forwards. That disc has not fully "cleaned up" since new either and has a slight rusty ring around the outside periphery. Don't really want to have to take in to my local stealers yet. Silent at any other time. I may get my brother to stick it on the MOT brake tester and check it is all working and in balance before making a decision.

I am experiencing a piercing squeal when reversing, from the o/s rear wheel. Has anyone else experienced this or am I a one off? Only done 600 miles since buying as I was fed up of getting my spanners out. Time to dust them off again?
Same here - mine's just a week old and about 600 miles

I wouldn't worry about it if it's only first thing after the car has been stood, unless it gets worse of course.

Mine is still doing this at the first application of the brakes each day - it always has done and now has nearly 7,000 miles on the clock. Has anyone found the solution to this problem yet?

And mine 11000 miles now but still there most days when first driven off my drive in reverse not been as severe in the last 2/3 months and I put that down to the dampness we have had over the winter, was very bad last spring and summer been back to the main dealer on three separate occasions now they even had it the second time over night but no different the third time they said they have ADJUSTED yeh ADJUSTED the rear disc brakes !!! ? Well its in for its first service on the 29th of this month and I have once again reported it to them fingers crossed 4th time lucky. There’s now about three threads running on this issue on this forum with no results as I can see.
Les

I changed my 4 tires and whatever they did when they fit the new ones it removed that squeak. Never happened since, strange.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom