Broken key shell

cocole

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi there,
Today I droped my key.
It's still working but the part that latches broke off.
So I need to replace it.
Does anyone knows where I can get a complete shell ?

Try an MG dealer :) Post a picture, are you sure it's not just the emergency key that's come off ?

IMG_20210416_162207.jpg

Here are the two keys to my car.
Sorry I dont really know the name of that part in English, it's too technical for me and it's been like 15 years I havent really spoken any english.
I've looked at aliexpress but I only found case that go over the actual key, I'd rather change the complete shell if it's possible.
As for my MG dealer, MG in continental Europe has gone mainly digital, I bought my car online and it was delivered to me.
I will contact them to see if they have the part but they are way smaller than MG in the UK so I am pretty much sure they will have to back order it.

Last edited:
Looks like it may be a dealer part and expensive then.
If, like me, you only use one key then I would relegate the broken one to the spare and use the ok one.

Could not find a shell anywhere online and no answer from the dealer so I bought a metal shell that goes on top of the actual key. It's secured by screws so I wont be able to access the emergency key in seconds but it's tougher than ever.

Could not find a shell anywhere online and no answer from the dealer so I bought a metal shell that goes on top of the actual key. It's secured by screws so I wont be able to access the emergency key in seconds but it's tougher than ever.
Do you have an photos or a link to the shell please ?.

Hi. I just bought a spare key today and it was programmed to my car but it has no key blade in it. I would expect a spare key from the dealers should also come with a cut key as it's missing from the normal hide away area. Has every one else got a spare key blade with the spare key? It cost £214 and no key blade!

Hi. I just bought a spare key today and it was programmed to my car but it has no key blade in it. I would expect a spare key from the dealers should also come with a cut key as it's missing from the normal hide away area. Has every one else got a spare key blade with the spare key? It cost £214 and no key blade!
Maybe they took it out to cut it and forgot to put it back ?

No I asked them about it and they said they will look into it but the person with the answer is off today so they will get in touch with me. Typical process to get rid of me at the time I felt.

As a spare / replacement key, you would expect the new one to be supplied with a blade also.
Considering the fob was over £200 !.
It maybe a case of :-
“if you want the blade as well, that is an additional charge sir “.
That old chestnut 🌰!.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom