Budget Tyres on new EV

Tosh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello all, my new MG ZS EV Trophy experienced its first flat tyre, managed to drive to Kwik-fit, unable to repair the tyre and a new tyre was fitted, the manager explained the tyres (Bravo) are a budget brand and a low standard for an EV in fact Kwik fit will not stock them due to low quality, a Bridgestone was fitted now have an odd tyre on a new car! Has anybody experienced this ??

Could you upload a pic of one of your original tyres?

The originals are Maxxis Bravo HP's on the most recently built ZS EV facelifts, which are actually a lot better than a lot of people realise. The tyres on the facelifted HS Trophy are Maxxis HPM5's too. Maxxis is a Taiwanese brand which has been around for 50 plus years now, they are fitted as OEM by MG but are fitted by VW Group, some Mazda's and Stellantis in factory for their Asia/Pacific markets. They are starting to creep into the European market as OEM too. Honestly they are not typical ditchfinders, we have a few on our work fleet cars and they grip and wear well. Hope that adds some context mate 😁

Last edited:
I suspected that's what they were hence my question above.

the manager explained the tyres (Bravo) are a budget brand and a low standard for an EV in fact Kwik fit will not stock them due to low quality
Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 22-51-00 Maxxis Bravo AT771.png

If a manufacturer is offered a huge discount
price on a make of tyre that will suits the spec of the car they are building, then they will buy them !.
They have absolutely no brand loyalty at all.
This is why you may see a long batch run of one certain make of tyre, then suddenly be switched out by another make.
Car manufacturers are buying in such massive numbers and therefore exploit that buying power to the max,
Bridgestone had a long run on providing the rubber for many of the VAG group models.
I had them on a new Golf PHEV and hated them !.
Replaced them ASAP with a set of Good Years and they were night and day different.

My 2019 ZS EV and our 2022 Gen 2 facelift had/ has the Michelin Primacy 3’s fitted.
Maybe MG have been offered a better deal on the alternative tyres now 🤣.

Maxxis Bravo HPM5 M+S are new tires on my MG HS and I have just done 3500miles on European roads in extremely wet conditions and these tires saved my life when other cars spun on motorway, I was able to brake and avoid the danger. On another note some Michelin tires spun me around some 25 years back. I was also happy with Bridgestone Turanza on my Ford and GoodYear 7 as well as Uniroyal Rainexpert 5 tires on my VW. Maxxis is a premium brand from Asia and Australia, definetly not a low quality, established in Taiwan back in late 60s. Not yet a brand in Europe and US but it is getting there. European tires, as well as cars, are now overpriced and you are paying brand more than quality these days (except Renault/Dacia and few others). That is why these alternative brands are good to compete with high flying european brands and keep them real, price/quality wise.

Hello all, my new MG ZS EV Trophy experienced its first flat tyre, managed to drive to Kwik-fit, unable to repair the tyre and a new tyre was fitted, the manager explained the tyres (Bravo) are a budget brand and a low standard for an EV in fact Kwik fit will not stock them due to low quality, a Bridgestone was fitted now have an odd tyre on a new car! Has anybody experienced this ??
Some time ago I decided to use the cheapest possible tires available on my old car (but still paying attention to quality) and going to do the same with ZS £50 max per tyre... Not likely to drive over 75-ish on motorway, and in rain with wipers, lights and A/C probably 55 mph behind a truck to save battery ... 😉
Just seen some for around £40 each and was tempted to buy them "just in case" ...

Is it possible an unscrupulous person in the sales chain to have switched the tyres before delivery? Apparently it happens when hire/courtesy cars are out with customers, they switch the new expensive top branded tyres for old ones.
I recently had a courtesy car from a Renault dealer. The tyres were marked with coloured paint, presumably so they could see quickly if the tyres had been swapped.

Some time ago I decided to use the cheapest possible tires available on my old car (but still paying attention to quality) and going to do the same with ZS £50 max per tyre... Not likely to drive over 75-ish on motorway, and in rain with wipers, lights and A/C probably 55 mph behind a truck to save battery ... 😉
Just seen some for around £40 each and was tempted to buy them "just in case" ...
With regards to tyres, I would say only this.
They are the last thing between you and the road.
Any EV is a heavy car really and is capable of laying down a LOT of torque very quickly.
Therefore both tyre choice and the quality of that make of tyre is extremely important.
More so, than tyre choice for an ICE car, I would say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible an unscrupulous person in the sales chain to have switched the tyres before delivery? Apparently it happens when hire/courtesy cars are out with customers, they switch the new expensive top branded tyres for old ones.
I recently had a courtesy car from a Renault dealer. The tyres were marked with coloured paint, presumably so they could see quickly if the tyres had been swapped.
If Bravo = Maxxis Bravo, in this instance, then these tyres came fitted to new MG ZS's.

Maxxis are a mainline tyre supplier from China, and the ZS is built in China.

Just because somebody from Kwikfit say they don't fit Chinese tyres doesn't mean these are bad tyres.

It's interesting that KwikFit say Maxxis Bravo are naff tyres as the company that owns KwikFit - 'ITOCHU Corporation' who also operate Stapletons (Tyre Services) Ltd, the UK's largest tyre wholesaler.

Stapletons (Tyre Services) Ltd are the UK's exclusive supplier of Maxxis tyres!

I believe that KwikFit incentivise their teams to sell their most profitable brands! Not necessarily what is best for the customer!

On tyres, cheaper doesn't necessarily means worse. Look at grading for efficiency, noise, rain grip...for the past 5-10 years I went for the cheapest possible with good to average rating of B and had no problems ever. Will continue that way with my ZS , I'm not paying for brand name or for performance tyres that I'll never need or benefit from. With electric cars, I would always go for XL extra load tyres.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom