Buying a new MG5 Trophy LR?

EVLover

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi Everyone,

I already have a first gen MG5 EV Exclusive which I will be swapping in for a new MG5 Trophy LR within the next couple of weeks.
I've been very happy with my current car but am very excited about getting a 2nd gen model because of all the improvements that have been added since gen1.

My question is for everyone who has a gen2 Trophy LR (not the ER.... but other than the larger battery, is there any difference?) and it just concerns what possible problems I might encounter and such things as should I make sure the latest software fixes have been done etc etc.

I am, of course, looking at all the advice threads on the new model but would value your feed back on anything and everything because actually owning and running a specific model is gold dust! Owner reviews are always the pinnacle!

Cheers Guys,

EVLover (appo low gees to Phil Collins....)

Hey

I did not have the pre-FL and the FL was my first EV.

I have seen on here the pre-FL is slightly better on range. I think partly due to the size of the wheels on the FL.

Apart from a few little nags I am generally happy with the FL.

There is a known issue with a batch of faulty passenger (right hand drive) not opening from the inside. I had both mine replaced under warranty.

The CarPlay (ios) connection is but temperamental. Works fine for weeks then plays up for a day. Its not the phone or the cables as I have tried many genuine ones and no difference. There are a few threads on here about it.

Make sure the car has every update possible before you get it. For example there is a known issue with the MG5 not working on Tesla chargers. This requires an update.

There is a remote app which is useful for a few things. Like checking the charge status away from the car. Sadly every time they update it seems to break for some people and take awhile to get fixed. It is not working for after the last update saying a I have a petrol tank and engine rather than showing battery %.

I find the left footrest to far forward (close to driver) in the RHD model. I tend to struggle a little to get a relaxed position on a long drive.

But as I say overall I am more than happy with the car.

Upvote 0
Hey

I did not have the pre-FL and the FL was my first EV.

I have seen on here the pre-FL is slightly better on range. I think partly due to the size of the wheels on the FL.

Apart from a few little nags I am generally happy with the FL.

There is a known issue with a batch of faulty passenger (right hand drive) not opening from the inside. I had both mine replaced under warranty.

The CarPlay (ios) connection is but temperamental. Works fine for weeks then plays up for a day. Its not the phone or the cables as I have tried many genuine ones and no difference. There are a few threads on here about it.

Make sure the car has every update possible before you get it. For example there is a known issue with the MG5 not working on Tesla chargers. This requires an update.

There is a remote app which is useful for a few things. Like checking the charge status away from the car. Sadly every time they update it seems to break for some people and take awhile to get fixed. It is not working for after the last update saying a I have a petrol tank and engine rather than showing battery %.

I find the left footrest to far forward (close to driver) in the RHD model. I tend to struggle a little to get a relaxed position on a long drive.

But as I say overall I am more than happy with the car.
Love my Trophy 5. Much better car the my Exclusive 5 for me. I removed the foot rest, you have to cut round it through the carpet it's a solid foam wedge. I bought a large aluminium footrest cover and used no nails to stick it over the cut out, looks fine and factory. So much better without.

Upvote 0
My ICE developed a suspension fault and special programs failure 3 days before Xmas, and I needed to get the lad to uni in Brighton from Herefordshire early in the New Year. No chance of a repair in the time. So it was hire a car or plunge in to get an EV (seeing it was on my mind for the middle of 2024 when a fixed term ISA matured). It had to be reasonably cheap, and it had to have a reasonable boot space, since it was subbing for a 2009 Disco 3! Apparently the other half wasn't too keen on a 10- to 12-year-old Freelander for about £5k. So, following a 24-hour web trawl, I plumped for an ex demo 2023 MG5 LR Trophy with just over 3500 miles on it (June registered). Delivered 3 days after Xmas... unseen, no trial run!

Spent the first day trundling back and forth about 20 metres on the drive. Couldn't get me out of it! Did the ~400 mile round trip to Brighton and back with one 40 minute stop each way to top up (~30% to 60% down IIRC, and ~40% to 80% on way back IIRC) on a 25kW charger at Sutton Scotney services; real range was about 185 miles. Free full charge where we stayed in Brighton; 20 miles left "in the tank" on return home. Never a moment's range anxiety. Temperature didn't get above 3°C the whole journey, so hopefully nearer the 200 mile mark come spring/summer, and possibly do the whole trip without a stop... maybe not! Comfortable ride. Hate the lane assist and auto dipped beam. Hate LED headlights (especially those coming towards me), but seems to be no getting away from them now. Haven't yet got MG iSmart to bind the vehicle (seems bound by someone else), but can live without it. Another minor gripe is the "go" pedal could be doing with 5 cm or so to the right of where it is. I find my foot often half off the pedal. But that may just be the transition from 14 years of driving the Disco 3 and my foot just needs re-educating. The boot is not a Disco 3 for sure, but it got everything a returning music student needs to take back, and three other people's weekend things, plus food. It'll easily take the black Lab (minus cage) for a vet visit. I'd have preferred a more blocky back end (a la old Volvo estates), both for that little bit extra storage and increased visibility out the rear window;, but the shape is 'nice' I suppose.

All the neighbours and friends who've been in it and gone for a ride in it (and that's quite a few) are in love with it and envious. It gets a 9/10 from me.

What more can I say?

Oh, yes. Prior to buying new, I'd seriously recommend seeking out an ex demo deal. Mine was virtually "new" and an exceptional deal at ~£12k off new list price. Most deals seemed to be around the £7k or £8k off list price when I looked. And that's not to be sneezed at either. Wife wasn't too keen on white or white, but the gorgeous red was around £3k more, and no paint job is worth that. Until it goes wrong, as all cars do, I'm very, very happy with the FL MG5 Trophy. I'm so happy with it I just want to go out and drive it, anywhere; even around the deeply potholed lanes that abound here.

I'd say the only thing that put me off the pre-FL version (and hence less of a layout of spondulicks) was I was less than enamoured of the pre-FL infotainment screen. A vast improvement in the newer model.

Won't benefit me now, but they should do a model with a heat pump, at least as an optional extra.

Upvote 0
My ICE developed a suspension fault and special programs failure 3 days before Xmas, and I needed to get the lad to uni in Brighton from Herefordshire early in the New Year. No chance of a repair in the time. So it was hire a car or plunge in to get an EV (seeing it was on my mind for the middle of 2024 when a fixed term ISA matured). It had to be reasonably cheap, and it had to have a reasonable boot space, since it was subbing for a 2009 Disco 3! Apparently the other half wasn't too keen on a 10- to 12-year-old Freelander for about £5k. So, following a 24-hour web trawl, I plumped for an ex demo 2023 MG5 LR Trophy with just over 3500 miles on it (June registered). Delivered 3 days after Xmas... unseen, no trial run!

Spent the first day trundling back and forth about 20 metres on the drive. Couldn't get me out of it! Did the ~400 mile round trip to Brighton and back with one 40 minute stop each way to top up (~30% to 60% down IIRC, and ~40% to 80% on way back IIRC) on a 25kW charger at Sutton Scotney services; real range was about 185 miles. Free full charge where we stayed in Brighton; 20 miles left "in the tank" on return home. Never a moment's range anxiety. Temperature didn't get above 3°C the whole journey, so hopefully nearer the 200 mile mark come spring/summer, and possibly do the whole trip without a stop... maybe not! Comfortable ride. Hate the lane assist and auto dipped beam. Hate LED headlights (especially those coming towards me), but seems to be no getting away from them now. Haven't yet got MG iSmart to bind the vehicle (seems bound by someone else), but can live without it. Another minor gripe is the "go" pedal could be doing with 5 cm or so to the right of where it is. I find my foot often half off the pedal. But that may just be the transition from 14 years of driving the Disco 3 and my foot just needs re-educating. The boot is not a Disco 3 for sure, but it got everything a returning music student needs to take back, and three other people's weekend things, plus food. It'll easily take the black Lab (minus cage) for a vet visit. I'd have preferred a more blocky back end (a la old Volvo estates), both for that little bit extra storage and increased visibility out the rear window;, but the shape is 'nice' I suppose.

All the neighbours and friends who've been in it and gone for a ride in it (and that's quite a few) are in love with it and envious. It gets a 9/10 from me.

What more can I say?

Oh, yes. Prior to buying new, I'd seriously recommend seeking out an ex demo deal. Mine was virtually "new" and an exceptional deal at ~£12k off new list price. Most deals seemed to be around the £7k or £8k off list price when I looked. And that's not to be sneezed at either. Wife wasn't too keen on white or white, but the gorgeous red was around £3k more, and no paint job is worth that. Until it goes wrong, as all cars do, I'm very, very happy with the FL MG5 Trophy. I'm so happy with it I just want to go out and drive it, anywhere; even around the deeply potholed lanes that abound here.

I'd say the only thing that put me off the pre-FL version (and hence less of a layout of spondulicks) was I was less than enamoured of the pre-FL infotainment screen. A vast improvement in the newer model.

Won't benefit me now, but they should do a model with a heat pump, at least as an optional extra.
On the led light point I do try and be thoughtful of others and have mine pointing down to the ground when driving most of the time. I only raise them up when in dark lightless motorways and I need to see further ahead.
The adjuster is right there next to the steering wheel so easy to change.

Upvote 0
Yes, indeed. I used that dial only last night in fact. As much as I can, I look well left to the kerb when I see LED lights approaching. They don't dazzle as such, like normal lamps on high beam do, but there's something about their intensity. They will set a visual aura off if they catch me wrong (anecdotally more so than pre-LED h/ls did, but could be wrong), and that's 20 to 30 minutes rest somewhere safe while vision fully recovers...

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom