Buying a second hand type 2 cable.

PremierscfcEV

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Thinking my car was arriving 1 year ago I knew that an MG supplied Type 2 cable would not be long enough so I was looking to get a 10mtr type 2 cable, I found a second hand one for under £100 so thought I'd got a bargain. Fast forward to now and I was struggling to charge using the 10mtr cable, unfortunately it turned out to be faulty so I would now only buy new.

Luckily I didn't call in the fitter of the home charger as I was able to try both my cables on a gridserve 7kw post to prove what the problem was. I bought a brand new 10 mtr type 2 cable and it schedule charged last night without any issues.

Last edited:
Expensive lesson, no doubt. I guess it applies to anything you buy, whether new or secondhand, if it’s not possible to see or check whether it’s satisfactory straight away. Pleased you now have your car though.

Thanks for the reply as I just wanted to warn other members that sometime buying cheaper can lead to buying twice, I haven't contacted the seller as I have had it way too long and its my fault for not checking it survived the shipping and extended storage in the shed intact as soon as I got it.

Luckily though the one I got last week was £145 for a 10mtr green cable and it slightly lighter that the one it replaced.

I absolutely love driving the ZS and hope I never have to go back to ICE, we did our first longer trip (220 miles roand trip) without any issues to Fully Charged Live and even got a nearly totally free vend (only £1 for 12kwh) on a Gridsevrve 7kw post next to our hotel.

How are you getting on with your ZS?

Attachments

• 20230520_142418.jpg
    20230520_142418.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
If the new one is lighter, it looks like your second hand one may have been a 3-phase cable as well.
The moral of the story is try before you buy, in other words don't buy things you may need before you get the car.
Even new stuff can be duff, so if you bought a new cable then waited 12 months for the car to arrive and the new cable turned out to be duff, the warranty has expired and you're in the same situation.

If the new one is lighter, it looks like your second hand one may have been a 3-phase cable as well.
The moral of the story is try before you buy, in other words don't buy things you may need before you get the car.
Even new stuff can be duff, so if you bought a new cable then waited 12 months for the car to arrive and the new cable turned out to be duff, the warranty has expired and you're in the same situation.
I says it 1 phase 32a on the cable insulation and when I got it, it was from a member that no longer needed the 10mtr length so I thought I would get it ready for my soon to be delivered ZS, but we know how that turned out.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I would never have got it if I knew there was going to be a 15 month delay.

Thinking my car was arriving 1 year ago I knew that an MG supplied Type 2 cable would not be long enough so I was looking to get a 10mtr type 2 cable, I found a second hand one for under £100 so thought I'd got a bargain. Fast forward to now and I was struggling to charge using the 10mtr cable, unfortunately it turned out to be faulty so I would now only buy new.

Luckily I didn't call in the fitter of the home charger as I was able to try both my cables on a gridserve 7kw post to prove what the problem was. I bought a brand new 10 mtr type 2 cable and it schedule charged last night without any issues.
Your faulty cable should be an easy repair, how about offering it for sale as faulty?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom