Cables & charger

Thomas101

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, I’ve got SE extended range on order and was wondering if anyone knew what cables (if any) it comes with. I saw somewhere a mention of an 8 meter cable but no other details about it.

Also any recommendations about a 7kw wall charger? Would you recommend one with the cable attached or just the socket?

You will get a "granny lead" which is 3 kW charger to use with regular wall plugs. You need to buy your own 7kW cables. As for wall charger I got one without cables

Last edited by a moderator:

You just get granny chargerwith car.plugs into 3 point plug. Unless you manage to get type 2 cable as part of negotiation. These are normally 5metre. I have tethered (connected cable) on a wallbox. But there are many options. Look at your energy provider as they good deals. Got mine through scottish power when the grant was available..they are more expensive now so it pays to shop around

I have a tethered charger as it's less fuss to get the cable out of the car each time. Unless you have negotiated a 7kW lead, you will have to buy your own.

If you have solar panels or are thinking of getting them, then a smart wall charger like a Zappi would be a good investment.

I have a tethered Zappi and I am currently getting quotes for solar panels and a battery.
If you got the car using the Affinity Scheme then you will get a type2 cable.

Last edited:
My dealer threw in a type 2 cable which was decent of him. Didn't even ask for it, I was prepared to buy it

There are such mixed messages about what you get, mines through a lease company so doubt I’ll get anything for free 😅
You SHOULD get the "Granny" lead as std equipment, it comes with the car, supplied by MG themselves.
The Type 2 cable is NOT supplied with the car, if your dealer is kind, you one receive a gift of one.
If it's a lease company, just make sure it comes supplied with the "Granny" lead in the boot !.

As far as home chargers go.
I have had a Zappi (type1) and have close friend with a Zappi (type 2) both these with solar panels (and a diverter to heat the water). Having moved house I now have a EO mini pro with no solar panels (although it has the capability).
I found the EO much simpler to use (its just a simple app with no box functions or buttons), I set charging times for Octopus Go and have had absolutely no problems. I always found the Zappi to be a bit more involved, great if you like that sort of thing but I do not, so I would definitely go for the EO again for me, and definitely tethered (and buy a type 2 cable if not supplied).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom