Calibration needed after changing to lighter rims?

VinceNg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone!
Way over from Singapore and just joined the forum. Hope to learn and share here.
Got the MG ZS EV and a query. I just change my rims, same size but lighter. Is there a recalibration needed so that the range calculation will be accurate?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. The car only needs to know how much energy you are using over a given distance so if the rims are the same size then the distance will still be the same so no calibration is needed. In the same way that the range calculation is as accurate as it is with or without passengers or heavy luggage. There is no calibration option anyway.

Welcome to the forum. The car only needs to know how much energy you are using over a given distance so if the rims are the same size then the distance will still be the same so no calibration is needed. In the same way that the range calculation is as accurate as it is with or without passengers or heavy luggage. There is no calibration option anyway.
Thanks! So weight has no effect on range? A bit confused cause i read that reduction in weight will improve the range. Of course I understand that there are other factors like aerodynamics with the aero cover. Just expecting an improvement or some changes at least. That’s what happened with my previous ride. But it was a petrol engine not ev. lol.

Thanks! So weight has no effect on range? A bit confused cause i read that reduction in weight will improve the range. Of course I understand that there are other factors like aerodynamics with the aero cover. Just expecting an improvement or some changes at least. That’s what happened with my previous ride. But it was a petrol engine not ev. lol.
it takes more energy to move more weight but I'm not sure lighter rims will give you much more range than the original would...

Thanks! So weight has no effect on range? A bit confused cause i read that reduction in weight will improve the range. Of course I understand that there are other factors like aerodynamics with the aero cover. Just expecting an improvement or some changes at least. That’s what happened with my previous ride. But it was a petrol engine not ev. lol
You'll get much bigger weight differences with lots of passengers and luggage and yes it will make a difference to the range and as I said the range will still be as accurate as it can be as weight wouldn't need any calibration. You do need to drive for a while for the guessometer (GOM) to update properly but if the rims make a big enough difference then it will be reflected in the range.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom