Campervans using charge points

N2STY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So campervan are now using charge points with a adaptor
Now my question is this I could do with a adaptor like this but one I could plug me ohme in to to take advantage of the 10pkw what do great to run the pool heater 😗
Has anyone seen one that's basically the same as the one in the video but with car type socket?

Are you with OVO? Presume so, as you seem to want to game the system for the cheaper rate, which wouldn't be necessary on Octopus.

I imagine you can get any cable you want made up, at a cost.

But they may well know that you aren't charging a car if the pool charger takes significantly different power to changing a car.

The AC charge points are 230v power supplies and it’s simple to make up a cable with a 3 pin mains socket. I was using the free podpoints at Tesco to top up my ebike battery (3.7kwh) and my 6kwh electric sail boat pack (which I also use to run my garage electrics) when topping up the car.

While picking up groceries in Tesco and shopping in town, it’s a central town car park so good to get some free electrons and parking from VW group while supporting the local community. It’s not free anymore but still at a reduced rate and subsidised by VW Group as part of their payback for dieselgate.

Now my question is this I could do with a adaptor like this but one I could plug me ohme in to to take advantage of the 10pkw what do great to run the pool heater 😗
Has anyone seen one that's basically the same as the one in the video but with car type socket?

Doesn't the car talk to OVO when it is charging to get the 10p rate so how will your Pool get the reduced rate?

Doesn't the car talk to OVO when it is charging to get the 10p rate so how will your Pool get the reduced rate?
As said above the account is linked to the charger not the car I get refunded what the charger uses not the car the pool was a bit tongue-in-cheek it could be tumble dryer or washing machine obviously with the right resistor and cables you can make the charger think it's a car I know you can already buy the set-up if it was untethered but for tethered you would need a car like socket just wondered if anyone had seen anything like this

How do people fill about a campervan possibly hogging a charger all night just to charge a 12v battery and running there electrics like a campsite hook-up?

As said above the account is linked to the charger not the car I get refunded what the charger uses not the car the pool was a bit tongue-in-cheek it could be tumble dryer or washing machine obviously with the right resistor and cables you can make the charger think it's a car I know you can already buy the set-up if it was untethered but for tethered you would need a car like socket just wondered if anyone had seen anything like this
I see that now, so you could run an ASHP via the Ohme. :cool:

In theory yes I'm not saying I'll do it I just find it interesting
I could use V2L but this option would remove the car and the extra battery degradation
My only thought would be they'd be able to see if isn't a car / battery charging due to the load profile, as a charger is quite a constant load except when balancing, where as hot tubs are on and off quite alot for the heaters

My only thought would be they'd be able to see if isn't a car / battery charging due to the load profile, as a charger is quite a constant load except when balancing, where as hot tubs are on and off quite alot for the heaters
Yeah I can see that being a problem with the heater fortunately air source heat pumps used for the pool current draw is pretty stable but looking at my bill OVO request total usage in kW from ohme for the month then refund me the difference

How do people fill about a campervan possibly hogging a charger all night just to charge a 12v battery and running there electrics like a campsite hook-up?
I'm sure Pod point and Tesco will have a way to enforce compliance,the chargers are for Electric vehicles only...

Interesting ideas. Personally, I'm not sure I care whether it is a car or campervan as long as they are paying to use the charge point and not simply blocking it. I think I would be more bothered (and I see it often enough) about the car that was sat next to him very early in the morning fully charged. That to me is hogging a charge point so no one else can use it.

Are you with OVO? Presume so, as you seem to want to game the system for the cheaper rate, which wouldn't be necessary on Octopus.

I imagine you can get any cable you want made up, at a cost.

But they may well know that you aren't charging a car if the pool charger takes significantly different power to changing a

As is usual at charge points it has a sign displaying "electric vehicle charging only" so would that activity attract a parking charge?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom