CAN traffic via OBD2 sets off alarm?

dragon2611

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I know some other people have had this on various recent MG's with OBD2 scanning dongles.

It appears (any?) attempt to poll the CAN bus when the veichle is locked sets of the alarm, has anyone been able to pull any data from any MG other than the MK1 ZS when locked without this happening, if so can you tell me which data you were able to access?

I'm mainly interested in the MG5 Pre facelift as that's what I have but i'd be happy to hear from Face lift and MG4 owners as well.

I stopped using a bluetooth dongle on my pre facelift mainly because the info you can get really isn't worth the effort but also because it would set off the alarm randomly if left in place while the car was off and locked up.

So from the little I can find thus far from searching I know with some BMW's will also set off the alarm when something access the OBD2, on the BMW's this can be this disabled but I'm not sure about the MG's and i suspect without access to the dealers diagnostic tools or a 3rd party one (if someones reverse engineeed things )it won't be possible to disable setting off the alarm when there is something talking to the CAN bus.

I presume given that some cars have been stolen vs CAN hacks this is why accessing the CAN when the car is locked sets the alarm off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom