Can you turn on the heating remotely from the app while the car is also charging from AC?

MeowFi

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi, I'm new to my MG5 and this forum, so please give me some grace if this has been asked a thousand times already.

I would like to be able to turn on the car heating before I set of on a journey while the car is still on charge, therefore not draining any charge from that battery. However, I am unable to do this using the MG iSmart app.

If I request the heating on, while charging, it won't let me. If I stop the charging (using the app) and then turn on the heating, it works. Turn the charging back on and the heating turns off.

Is this just how it works, or am I doing something wrong, or is the car not working as it should?

For clarity, its a face lift 2023 MG5 long range and I'm using the Granny charger. Its a Trophy model.

Regards
Dave

Welcome to the forum Dave
Yes, unfortunately that’s the way it works; in order to pre-heat you need to stop the charging process, once started, pre-heating works for 10min and then the car continues charging until it reaches the SOC limit set in iSMART.
Mickey

We have a ZS EV LR ( facelift ) - When the car has completed it's charging session at about 5.00am using the "Off Peak Rate" it is still plugged into the wall box via the type 2 cable.
If at 8.00am I then turn on the "A/C Blowing" function via the App to heat the cabin, it will restart the charging process via our wall box.

We have a ZS EV LR ( facelift ) - When the car has completed it's charging session at about 5.00am using the "Off Peak Rate" it is still plugged into the wall box via the type 2 cable.
If at 8.00am I then turn on the "A/C Blowing" function via the App to heat the cabin, it will restart the charging process via our wall box.
Same with the MG5, using pre-heat will override the charging schedule set by the car/ismart and will charge until SOC is reached afterwards.

Not really an issue if the car has already reached the limit overnight, it will only top up the energy used for pre-heat; but doesn’t stop otherwise unless you have a smart wall box..

Last edited:
but doesn’t stop otherwise unless you have a smart wall box..
That’s odd, because I have a 7 kW Rolec dumb wall box that was installed way back in 2016 ?.
If I select preheat the cabin from the App and the car is still attached to the wall box via the type 2 cable, which is sitting in the standby state, it will automatically reenergise the wall box into the charging state.
Therefore by heating the cabin, you are not reducing the predicted range of the car.
HV battery power being consumed by to the cabin heater, is being back filled by the energy supplied by the wall box.

Last edited by a moderator:
HV battery power being consumed by to the cabin heater, is being back filled by the energy supplied by the wall box.
Correct, what I’m trying to point out is that the car doesn’t take note of the SOC before pre-heating, it keeps charging afterwards until the SOC limit is reached (it drained my solar storage battery when I initially tested the various pre-heat functions despite having set a charge schedule)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom