Cancelled order today - No confidence in anything MG/Arnold Clark can do.

Davienet

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Apologies for the long story. Ordered 2 Trophy’s Dec 2nd, one blue one black for my wife and I. Told they will arrive in Feb, arranged a lease deal £299 down £299 per month via the advert on Arnold Clark’s website. After paint/servicing it came out at £311 per month, happy with that. A good deal we thought. Obvs no car arrived until recently which we were fine with, we understand the issues in manufacturing etc. got a phone call out the blue 17th June saying my car (blue) was there, when can I collect. Advise the boy I’m easy just whenever suits, get told “we’ll I’m going on holiday tomorrow for a week so will need to be then”, - eh ok, why did you phone me but fair enough. A week passes no call. We call up to check what’s happening, guy who called us appears not to work there anymore and another guys is dealing with it but he’s not there at the moment, Ok no worries, get him to call me when it’s ready. Get a call a few days later ok the car is ready when can you colllect - I’m easy let me know when suits. Well you can’t get it just now as we have to charge it fully, deplete the battery fully and recharge. Fair enough just let me know when it’s ready but again why are you calling me when I can’t get it. This is where is goes haywire . The guys tells me the payment is now £420 pm, not £311 as agreed. When I tell him no, they advise they can’t do anything as the deal is no longer available. The deal we agreed on when we signed up. I Tell him to cancel it. He calls back the next day to say they are going to contact finance company’s etc to get the correct deal. This takes 3 weeks back and forward with positive sounds coming from their end each time, only to be told this morning (after we called again as everyone that had touched it had apparently been on holiday) that it’s good news , the finance company had agreed and your black car is ready. “Black car, I ordered an blue one”. Miraculously the black car he was just talking about changed colour to blue after he went and had a look, must have been the hot weather and the new MG colour changing paint it seems you can get now. He also throws in that we can’t get the government grant any more. I Tel him politely get to. Absolute shambles of a company. (Was Arnold Clark at Linwood).

Of to find a nearly new car now that actually does exist as I’m fairly certain the ZS they were talking about didn’t exist. A waste of everyone’s time and effort. Now looking at a 3 yo jag XE, which I’m getting for less than half the monthly price of the ZS. A shame because I loved the look of the ZS. If it did exist and you want a blue (or black depending on which way you look at it) trophy LR there may well be one available. Good luck if you go for it!

Hope no one else has a similar experience.

Apologies for the long story. Ordered 2 Trophy’s Dec 2nd, one blue one black for my wife and I. Told they will arrive in Feb, arranged a lease deal £299 down £299 per month via the advert on Arnold Clark’s website. After paint/servicing it came out at £311 per month, happy with that. A good deal we thought. Obvs no car arrived until recently which we were fine with, we understand the issues in manufacturing etc. got a phone call out the blue 17th June saying my car (blue) was there, when can I collect. Advise the boy I’m easy just whenever suits, get told “we’ll I’m going on holiday tomorrow for a week so will need to be then”, - eh ok, why did you phone me but fair enough. A week passes no call. We call up to check what’s happening, guy who called us appears not to work there anymore and another guys is dealing with it but he’s not there at the moment, Ok no worries, get him to call me when it’s ready. Get a call a few days later ok the car is ready when can you colllect - I’m easy let me know when suits. Well you can’t get it just now as we have to charge it fully, deplete the battery fully and recharge. Fair enough just let me know when it’s ready but again why are you calling me when I can’t get it. This is where is goes haywire . The guys tells me the payment is now £420 pm, not £311 as agreed. When I tell him no, they advise they can’t do anything as the deal is no longer available. The deal we agreed on when we signed up. I Tell him to cancel it. He calls back the next day to say they are going to contact finance company’s etc to get the correct deal. This takes 3 weeks back and forward with positive sounds coming from their end each time, only to be told this morning (after we called again as everyone that had touched it had apparently been on holiday) that it’s good news , the finance company had agreed and your black car is ready. “Black car, I ordered an blue one”. Miraculously the black car he was just talking about changed colour to blue after he went and had a look, must have been the hot weather and the new MG colour changing paint it seems you can get now. He also throws in that we can’t get the government grant any more. I Tel him politely get to. Absolute shambles of a company. (Was Arnold Clark at Linwood).

Of to find a nearly new car now that actually does exist as I’m fairly certain the ZS they were talking about didn’t exist. A waste of everyone’s time and effort. Now looking at a 3 yo jag XE, which I’m getting for less than half the monthly price of the ZS. A shame because I loved the look of the ZS. If it did exist and you want a blue (or black depending on which way you look at it) trophy LR there may well be one available. Good luck if you go for it!

They are a useless firm my opinion which is through experience... they have a policy of sales pressure and the sales are pushed to the limit as the firm is now run by a bunch of accountants, not like in the days of Arnold himself, he was great to deal with and understood all about customer care.
I would copy your above experience to the head office and await a bull**** reply.

My nearest MG dealer is Arnold Clark.. 3 miles away. Would I use them for servicing or repairing my car? Not on your Nelly! Heard too many bad stories about them to chance it!

They put huddles in the way of completing the original deal, as they clearly wanted you to back out !.
They wanted to sell both of those cars with a huge mark up to somebody else, who was willing to pay more for them.
The excuse of not getting the grant anymore is total B/S !.
They would / should have applied for the grant in YOUR name at the same time as placing your original order(s).
Where are both of the original order forms / cars now, is my question 🙋🏻‍♂️ ?????.
I would of asked them to see my original order form(s) ( which I assume you should have a copy of ) and both applications for the plug in grants.
They realise that due to high demand, that satisfying your order(s) is a lost opportunity to make a much larger profit margin.
They are clearly “At It” - Pure and simple !.
I can understand your frustration but they must be rubbing their hands 🙌 now you have backed out of the deal(s) !.
Good luck finding replacement cars 👍.

Last edited:
Shocking customer service. Typical Arnold Clark. I went into the Linwood branch to take a look at the car and pick up a brochure, place was empty and no one came near me, even though I was in there about 5 mins looking over the whole car! Even had my wife with me, so it looked more like we were serious - salesmen just sat at their desk!

Have you thought about seeing what Maurice MacMillan have in terms of deals?

Thats apalling service but appears to be more common.

It’s either incompetence or theybare doing it on purposento keep the cars to sell at a higher margin. is there any way if checking if the grant had been received.

I would complain to the Motor Ombudsman if you hink it is a scam. Arnold Clarke are members, Home Home

Shocking customer service. Typical Arnold Clark. I went into the Linwood branch to take a look at the car and pick up a brochure, place was empty and no one came near me, even though I was in there about 5 mins looking over the whole car! Even had my wife with me, so it looked more like we were serious - salesmen just sat at their desk!

Have you thought about seeing what Maurice MacMillan have in terms of deals?
Thanks, had a look at McMillans (we are in Inverkip) the deals are good but a bit over my current budget. My wife is still continuing conversing with AC, it’s getting funny listening to the sh*%e they are coming up with daily. Morons.

Sounds just like Budgen Motors of! Shrewsbury

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom