PaulC82

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Gutted my ZS has been reversed into today in a retail park car park. The old boy who did it, his car is, predictably undamaged because he hit mine with his towbar!

It’s done the lower rear drivers door, lower plastic sill piece, dented the rear lower arch/sill itself, wheel trim and damaged the alloy. He wants me to get a price to cover the damage privately rather than through insurance. Obviously can’t do much until Tuesday now, anyone know roughly what this will run into? I’m trying to make it clear to him that it won’t be cheap.

Annoyed isn’t the word!

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    618.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0755.jpeg
    IMG_0755.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0756.jpeg
    IMG_0756.jpeg
    464.1 KB · Views: 143
Gutted my ZS has been reversed into today in a retail park car park. The old boy who did it, his car is, predictably undamaged because he hit mine with his towbar!

It’s done the lower rear drivers door, lower plastic sill piece, dented the rear lower arch/sill itself, wheel trim and damaged the alloy. He wants me to get a price to cover the damage privately rather than through insurance. Obviously can’t do much until Tuesday now, anyone know roughly what this will run into? I’m trying to make it clear to him that it won’t be cheap.

Annoyed isn’t the word!
Get MG garage quote in writing and send to him, if he doesn't pay, claim. Refuse to consider any random garage and only approved MG can do the work.
There is a set amount of time within which you have to report accidents so check your insurance for that. Be understanding to the other guy as long as he's understanding of your situation.

Get MG garage quote in writing and send to him, if he doesn't pay, claim. Refuse to consider any random garage and only approved MG can do the work.
There is a set amount of time within which you have to report accidents so check your insurance for that. Be understanding to the other guy as long as he's understanding of your situation.

24 hours is the usual time frame.

I had an accident, repaired by a local body-shop that I knew would do a good job, and they did.
I think your old boy is in for about £2000. New door skin, repair sill and new wheel trim.
On my car, unusually, the paint only had one shade available, but it matched most of the original, although there were some pretty dodgy panels from new. Colour is pale blue, ev only.
Good luck.

24 hours is the usual time frame
I did mine through insurance. All parts were available at the time, including those plastic decals.. At least your chap admitted it, my wife had one where the old boy completely denied it, although she saw it, but no other witnesses.

That is really bad luck Paul :(.
I think the OAP may have a bit of shock when he is given the estimate TBH.
Hopefully he IS insured ?????.
In the picture with the door open, it looks like the inside of the rear door is creased, but had to tell as its a black car.
If this is the case, it will require a completely new rear door assembly in order to bring it back to the factory condition, this is not going to be cheap to start with !.
Then, there is the wait time on bits of course.
A door in colour will take care of a large percentage of the damage and can be fitted in about 30 mins.
The wheel may go again with a refurb ?.
There maybe some body damage behind that black plastic cill moulding as well.

my ZS has been reversed into today in a retail park car park
does the parking lot place have a surveillance camera installed? footage might be retained for a very short time, maybe 5 days

for car accident with property damage, did you need to call police

police may facilitate access to third party footage if there was a surveillance camera there

An update for you! Repair estimate came in at £4000! Unsurprisingly he now wants to go through insurance, after accepting full liability. Still very inconvenient, but hopefully it'll be sorted soon enough. And hopefully they give me an EV as courtesy car...

Be careful with courtesy car. I had terrible trouble a few years back when my car was rear-ended. My insurer had some special scheme for "no fault" claims and they provided a hire car. After about 3 weeks my car came back and they took the hire car, but then the other party's insurance refused to pay the exorbitant rate for the hire car. It got very nasty because there seems to be some clause that you are liable in the event of the other party insurance refusing to pay. in the end I just refused to pay and it went away, but it was very unpleasant. I will never fall for that again.

Someone reversed into my ZS a few weeks after I bought it, and they buggered off without leaving any details. But they were spotted by someone in one of the local businesses, and they left a note on the car. Insurance dealt with it all (was LV I was insured with) and the total bill was around the £1500 mark for a knackered front wing. Total cost to me was nothing except time to drop the car off at the repair centre the insurance specified, and that was only a few miles away.

They may well be money grabbing gits most of the time, but most of the big insurance companies are a lot better than they used to be if you're not at fault.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom