Car charger not working properly

heidifuss

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
We recent bought a 2021 mg5 but can't seem to get the phone to charge in the USB or the infotainment slots. We've tried cables which work in other car etc. The infotainment system seems to work OK through the cable. The charge symbol comes on but no charge is put into battery.

Is there anything obvious that we are missing. TIA

Apologies if there is already a thread on this...I couldn't find one

No haven't checked fuse as thought this was ruled out as the connection works in the sense the charging symbol is present on the phone? But no charge going in ( incidentally no charge is lost either even on long journey whilst being used)

Is it an Excite or Exclusive?
If you are getting the charge symbol on your phone then the socket is live.
If you are using the phone for maps etc then it maybe using the same power as is going in.
Try turning off all apps atc and leave it connected tonsee if any charge gets added

If it's an Android download Ampere from the Play Store, that tells you loads about the state of the phone but most relevantly it tells you whether it's charging, and if it is, at what rate, so you can compare different sockets, cables etc.

May also exist for IoS...

Thanks Smokies. Will give this a go. It is Android.
Appears not to be a common fault from the replies so will investigate further.
Thanks for all who took time to help

Thanks Smokies. Will give this a go. It is Android.
Appears not to be a common fault from the replies so will investigate further.
Thanks for all who took time to help
The front USB ports are not very powerful, I find they just about maintain the phones level of charge when using AA.
If you have an Exclusive, try using the rear USB ports (I leave a cable plugged in and other end stashed in the centre console), these charge the phone well.

The front USB ports are not very powerful, I find they just about maintain the phones level of charge when using AA.
If you have an Exclusive, try using the rear USB ports (I leave a cable plugged in and other end stashed in the centre console), these charge the phone well.
Or assuming the rear ports won't work for AA anyway just put a phone charger in the 12v socket.

Just be careful of stray USB cables if you have the cover off the 12V socket and haven't plugged something else in yet, a stray usb type A plug is just perfect for shorting the 12V socket and replacing the fuse requires dashboard disassembly (Yes I'm speaking from experience here!)

Or assuming the rear ports won't work for AA anyway just put a phone charger in the 12v socket.

Just be careful of stray USB cables if you have the cover off the 12V socket and haven't plugged something else in yet, a stray usb type A plug is just perfect for shorting the 12V socket and replacing the fuse requires dashboard disassembly (Yes I'm speaking from experience here!)
The rear ports are for charging only, I use AA Wirelesss then plug the phone into the rear ports and have the phone in the centre console slot.

I do something similar for CarPlay execpt I have a magnetic charger I just stick to the back of the iPhone.

For the wireless CarPlay I use a Tbox mini since the car doesn’t do it natively

My pre-facelift 5LR runs Android Auto from the phone and manages to charge the phone at the same time whilst Google maps and Spotify are running on the car's media screen. This is using the left hand usb port.
I've found it's quite finicky with the quality of usb cable and the current one (which never leaves the car) was found to be the best by trial and error of all the usb cables I had around the house. My previous Polo was just as finicky.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom