Car doesn't like 30 mph sign

ZSDave

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I wonder if anyone else has a similar problem. The speed limit sign shown on the dash is fine for 20, 40, 50 and 50 mph signs but for some reason when I pass a 30 mph sign it shows 30 on the dash for a short time then that disappears to be replaced with two dashes.

Any idea of a cure for this, not due to go to dealers (quite a distance away) until December?

Dave

I’ve not experienced that. Very strange 🧐

Yes mine does the same for some reason.I think it’s something to do with the windscreen camera I try and keep it clean don’t think it works by satellite just the camera itself

Mine is exactly the same, 30mph sign stays on for a minute or two then two dashes, I use the left arrow on the right hand side of the steering wheel to scroll twice to bring the 30 mph sign up again & two minutes later it's back to two dashes :rolleyes:

I thought it went to dashes and flashed when you were over the limit ?

Well I can doubly confirm this MG ZS EV doesn't like the 30 MPH signs! I've been out in it this afternoon to take Mam for a hospital appointment at Bolton hostpital & it's recognised the 20 MPH sign around local urban roads, It recognised the 40 MPH zone, it recognised the 15 MPH around the internal hospital roads but 30 MPH Nah! just two dashes. o_O All the speed limit signs are the same & clear so I don't know what's going on there !!!

I'm glad it's not just me, or my car.

I suppose I can live with it until the first service, only six months to wait!

In the meantime, if anyone knows of a setting to sort it out I would be pleased to hear about it.

Dave

Very strange. I get the - - - sometimes and doesn’t always recognise some signs. But it does show some 30 limit signs. In fact most of the time. Seems strange that the software will read some images but doesn’t like the 30mph sign. The std sat nav also shows speed limit but that is not sign recognition related.

Does it recognise it when you are driving along the road at all. Mine does but when I make a turn onto a side street I get the dashes. This happens in 20mph limits as well, shows 20 make turn then dashes.
Maybe it's clever and susses out it doesn't know what the limit is, like when you first set off before it sees it's first sign, so displays the dashes rather than potentially false information

Does it recognise it when you are driving along the road at all. Mine does but when I make a turn onto a side street I get the dashes. This happens in 20mph limits as well, shows 20 make turn then dashes.
Maybe it's clever and susses out it doesn't know what the limit is, like when you first set off before it sees it's first sign, so displays the dashes rather than potentially false information

As you enter a 30 mph zone it picks it up straight away but after a minute or so it turns into two dashes whilst still in the 30 mph zone. I haven't seen it happen with any other speed limit.

As you enter a 30 mph zone it picks it up straight away but after a minute or so it turns into two dashes whilst still in the 30 mph zone. I haven't seen it happen with any other speed limit.
So it does recognise it, maybe it's deliberate. What if it missed a 20mph after that and still showed 30mph, who would get the blame if you got a ticket ? I guess you could say the same for all speed limits but the urban ones are maybe more difficult to spot changes.

My doing the same as every one, but for the last fill days, just after my second service, the speed signs in the dashboard not showing any more, any speed Information.

Could it be seeing a sign that it can’t resolve because of foliage/graffiti? It is just trying to read each sign it ‘sees’ so a bad one will confuse it. It won’t retain the previous speed limit because it could be wrong.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom