Car doesn't like 30 mph sign

That seems a shame. In countries like Australia with a full metric system and international standard speed signs, it works really well. It's one of my favourite features.
I am in Australia and mine seems to work ok but there is a problem with illuminated signage at street intersections and over freeways. This new street sign technology, probably led to look at it. And changing shapes and colours.

I've noticed that you can't rely on it for telling you the right speed limit so I only use it as a guide. Not worth being booked for speeding is it? I'm taking my advanced driving course so I am noticing these things more.

I've noticed that you can't rely on it for telling you the right speed limit so I only use it as a guide. Not worth being booked for speeding is it? I'm taking my advanced driving course so I am noticing these things more.
Yes - even with all the aids it’s still the driver’s responsibility. I tend to have the satnav on as a cross check. Then I have three things, traffic sign recognition, satnav advice and my overriding decision. What advanced course are you doing IAM’s? Is there a course and test specific for EV,s?

It is the IAM course but no specifics for EVs. As you say it's the driver's responsibility and I'm not convinced all these gadgets are a good idea, just more to distract you from concentrating on your driving. I'm enjoying the course though and would recommend it to every one.

Sat nav is good if the map is up to date with the speed limits, as it gives a verbal warning, but it doesn't warn you of speed cameras, even thought there's a setting for them in the setup menus.

It is the IAM course but no specifics for EVs. As you say it's the driver's responsibility and I'm not convinced all these gadgets are a good idea, just more to distract you from concentrating on your driving. I'm enjoying the course though and would recommend it to every one.
I did the car and motorbike courses. Good luck.

Could it be seeing a sign that it can’t resolve because of foliage/graffiti? It is just trying to read each sign it ‘sees’ so a bad one will confuse it. It won’t retain the previous speed limit because it could be wrong.
No Graham, it recognises the sign and displays the 30 on the dash OK then after a few seconds it disappears. This happens at ALL 30 mph signs and most of them are spotlessly clean, as is the windscreen in front of the camera. As previously stated, it is unique to 30 mph signs.

Dave

Sounds like one for your dealer then. I only get random -- displays at any speed (limit ;-) and they are usually for a valid reason.

Dangerous to rely on these displays. My last Mercedes displayed the speed limit from its satnav but on one occasion, whilst being followed by a police car, the display said 40 but I realised that there were no signs on the streetlights. I slowed down but not before the police decided to (correctly) educate me. The car doesn't get points, you do.

Ours also exhibits this behaviour. I assumed it was due to passing other signs shortly after the 30mph sign that the car cannot understand. But since you have drawn my attention to the detail, why would it not do that in other speed ranges. Unless it needs to see regular confirmations to keep the numbers displayed.
I’m fairly sure most other Countries have repeater signs at all speeds whereas we in the UK are supposed to measure the distance between lampposts while driving if we are not sure 🤔

I'm confused, I turned mine off (or so I thought) and it now displays 30mph sign just fine. :unsure:

Mine is exactly the same, 30mph sign stays on for a minute or two then two dashes, I use the left arrow on the right hand side of the steering wheel to scroll twice to bring the 30 mph sign up again & two minutes later it's back to two dashes :rolleyes:

I noticed on the car this morning that I don't get the 30 mph notice on the dash any more!!! I just get the the two dashes sign until I enter a higher mph zone, Every other mph zone comes up straight away you enter the zone.😕

It’s a bit hit and miss and certainly can’t be relied in. I wander if there is also a timer that defaults to dashes if not recognised a change for a specific period of time to avoid miss information.
I use the satnav on my HS as bottom left arrow to show compass and satnav derived speed as an indicator. The speed reading also has a red warning when over speed.

I'm in the 5, but there is something in the 5 manual that says this intelligently :unsure: resets when you encounter a junction (not sure how it decides that it's a junction, but indicating and turning seems to do it). The idea being that it doesn't yet know the limit of the road you have just turned on to.

Given that where I live there are many places where the sign is just before the junction (such as coming to the end of a 30 road onto a T junction with a 40 road) that renders this pretty useless as it picks up the sign, then immediately resets it.

Whist I can choose not to use the intelligent speed limiter (ISA), I don't think I can turn off the display of the speed limit, even though it's wrong more than is is right and is therefore just a distraction.

Nice idea, but not particularly well implemented,.

Ultimately, it is the driver's responsibility to adhere to the speed limit. There is after all a clock to tell you your speed. I have noticed that if the camera is dirty it is unable to "see" the speed limit. This also happens if you are driving into bright sun. Also if the speed limit sign is dirty or overgrown the camera won't detect the speed but then the speed is also shown on the road. Mine only shows dashes when I have turned at a junction and it is unaware of the speed limit.

Has anyone taken their advanced driving in their EV? I'm interested in your feedback.

It is the IAM course. I took my test in August and am now looking at taking the Masters next. I really enjoyed the course too. Have yhou put in for your test yet?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom