Car knows temporary speed limit in roadworks?

ChrisT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I noticed today whilst driving on a dual carriage way with normal speed limit 70mph that the car recognised the new temporary speed limit by showing 30mph on the dash. How is it doing this, surely this would require a data connection? 🤔

Yep it certainly does that but I also thought it used mapping data too for "conditional speed limits". Got nothing to back this up except my own observations.

I think it does use mapping data somehow as well, because it still tells you the temporary speed limit when the roadworks have gone sometimes.

I think it does use mapping data somehow as well, because it still tells you the temporary speed limit when the roadworks have gone sometimes.
Could it be waiting for the next road sign to override the camera capture. Presume if it sees a road sign that's lower than its data it reduces the speed symbol accordingly until another sign overrides it. Just a guess.

As far as I know there is no link between the camera recognized speed and other data. For example the national speed limit sign when recognised always equates to 60mph even when the actual limit may be 70mph depending on the type of road. Some systems do link to gps mapping this one doesn’t. The conditional warning is if it sees a sign with added data that it can’t read.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom