Car Won't Plug In

Seawolf

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Another wee challenge. First time this has happened and I don't understand it. Just got home and went to plug the car in to charge up, and I can't get the plug to go into the car's socket. Started car and stopped again, but that didn't make any difference. neither did taking it out of EV and putting it in AUTO. The plug from my chargoing point just won't go in the car's socket. Anyone got any ideas ?

Yes there is a pin on the charging socket that a motor drives it down when you plug in the car to lock the plug in place to stop it been removed when charging ( know as the handshake). If you go out to the car at look at 12 o’clock you will see it Because there could be a fault with the motor And the pin has drop down stopping you plugging in.
In side the boot on the same side there is a cover where the boot cover runs, it you take the cover off you find a loop of wire if you pull this it may raise this pin up and if you let go and it many drop again and you will need a new motor fitted which will be under warranty. You may be lucky that after pulling the wire the motor starts working again but I would have it checked out if it did.

Last edited:
Thank you my friend. All fixed, and I have learned something.

Had a look at twelve o'clock, as you suggested, and saw the pin straight away, so on the off chance, I put the end of a screwdriver in and pushed the pin back up and it stayed there. Car is charging nicely now. many thank.

Could be worth mentioning to your dealer (just to get the fault on record).

Good
When you plugged in did you hear the handshake, hope you can unplug if you did.

Not sure what the "handshake" is. Never heard of it before today.

Every time I plug the car in to charge I hear a buzzing noise for about half a second as it connects. If I didn't hear that, it wouldn't be charging.

So if that is the "handshake" it happens every time I put the car on charge..

Just been out and checked. Car is charging perfectly. I stopped it, unplugged, then plugged in again and it started charging again. "Handshakes" both times.

Everything is back to normal.

The buzzing is know as the handshake, i use the granny charger all the time and if I plug in with out switch on I do not get the buzzing noise until I switch the power on then I get the buzzing noise.
that great it now working as should.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom