Carplay "AI" Dongle.

dragon2611

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Decided to try one of these carplay "AI" (There's nothing AI about them they just run android) dongles on my MG5 (PFL) to see if it's an upgrade from my Carlinkit mini v3 which occasionally decides it doesn't wish to talk to the car and also won't firmware update anymore (I wonder if it's a clone rather then a genuine one).

This is also another carlinkkit one mostly due to price and it being amazon I can probably send it back if it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Interesting device, not had it long enough to determine long time reliability but so far it’s connected to the MG every time unlike my carlinkit v3 mini which sometimes won’t for some reason

The one I got was the tbox mini which seems to have similar specs to a rather low end smartphone and as such it’s a bit slow when running standalone.

I logged into a secondary google account and was able to download apps off the playstore.

That said i put a sim in it and it worked for abrp+Spotify at the same time, wireless CarPlay is via an app called auto kit and seems to work fine, it can also do wireless AA but I’ve not tried that yet.

I’ve not tried watching video with it yet although it’s supposed to be able to do youtube/netflix but the only time I’m likely to use either is if I’m stuck waiting for someone or waiting for a charger.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom