CarPlay and Android Auto stopped working

Still no radio. We called and they said they still don’t have a courtesy car for us and they still don’t know when it’ll be back. Apparently MG have a backlog, which they Donalds either didn’t think to ask about before taking our radio out, or knew but took it out anyway.

The SATNAV App froze after a failed map update. All working again on return but I won't be doing any more map updates as it's not worth the risk.

Four weeks later the radio goes back in. Same firmware version, apparently it’s just the “config” they’ve updated.

And it doesn’t bleeding work. $€#%$!

At least I know how to get in to the secret menu now, then the secret secret menu within that.

I wrote to MG to complain, and they got back pretty quick.

Basically they said that if they have done the software on the unit then it must be our phones at fault, so we should go and find a phone that works. Also, "if the unit runs correctly with nothing connected, we wouldn't consider this a fault with your vehicle".

Argh, it's exasperating. What is the point of buying a car with Android Auto and CarPlay if they don't care if it stops working?

Hey look, it’s fixed!

Only kidding. I was sat in another pre-facelift MG5 at Peterborough MG whilst having mine serviced. Of course all three of my phones work perfectly in this car. Just not in my car. Perhaps this is enough to convince MG that I do not need to “find a compatible phone”.

Attachments

• IMG_2085.jpeg
    IMG_2085.jpeg
    428 KB · Views: 30
Ok, interesting development. The infotainment unit now no longer responds to fan speed. The AC button, the heater dial and the first notch on the fan (fan on/off) cause the screen to temporarily show the heater settings (it’s an Excite so no climate control, only AC). Subsequent steps on the fan speed, and any of the air flow buttons, and the two demist, all work, but cause no change on the display - the icons don’t change and you don’t get the heater display temporarily. Which is really weird. I can’t imagine a failure mode where that can happen.

Ok, interesting development. The infotainment unit now no longer responds to fan speed. The AC button, the heater dial and the first notch on the fan (fan on/off) cause the screen to temporarily show the heater settings (it’s an Excite so no climate control, only AC). Subsequent steps on the fan speed, and any of the air flow buttons, and the two demist, all work, but cause no change on the display - the icons don’t change and you don’t get the heater display temporarily. Which is really weird. I can’t imagine a failure mode where that can happen.
Makes it sound like there's a poor connection somewhere and it's not receiving the inputs.

That said mine sometimes doesn't seem to bring up the climate display if I only turn the knob slightly, it seems to depend on what carplay is upto, wouldn't surprise me if the CPU is underpowered.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom