CarPlay Issues

Pauly

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Can anyone with a facelift ZS confirm the function of carplay please, does it matter which socket you connect to etc ?

I have tried three different iphones (13 pro/13 pro max/11) and three different leads (genuine and non gen) in the USB A and USB C socket and i cannot get carplay to activate, it’s hard to see in the image but the Android Auto button has bright white text and the carplay button on the display is always greyed out slightly and if i click it then i see this message

1DAD35CF-8629-4BB2-8CA9-886B93106E65.jpeg
4C4DC81E-74D8-4980-9783-6DA37C37F542.jpeg

Last edited:
Yer is there not a usb option coming up on your phone saying something like charging or file transfer? Or do you need the carplay app on your phone? It's the USB with the screen logo on it

Last edited:
CarPlay is native to the devices it’s part of the OS
That’s how it behaves on all my other vehicles past and present, you just plug in and away you go but for some reason it doesn’t show or doesn’t give me any prompts on the phone or anyway to activate/start it :(
The first time a phone see a car it does normally prompt you to accept the connection then from that point it’s automatic

I should also mention that all phones are charging from all USB ports so there is defo power at them all

Have you checked the CarPlay setting within your iPhone? At least rule that out if you haven't already, then you know it's the car.

Edit: I see you've used an authorised cable...seems silly, but I've had that cause trouble elsewhere.

Last edited:
I was told by the seller that only the "large" USB-A (normal style) connector would actually work with AA or AC.

The USB-C is strictly for charging a device.

Android Auto works fine here, when i connect a USB-A to USB-C between the connector in the car, and my phone

Try connecting your phone to Bluetooth before plugging in the cable. I know this can sometimes help in other vehicles.

I was told by the seller that only the "large" USB-A (normal style) connector would actually work with AA or AC.

The USB-C is strictly for charging a device.

Android Auto works fine here, when i connect a USB-A to USB-C between the connector in the car, and my phone
That’s the kind of info I’m after, thankyou
Gives me a bit of direction to move in, I only have genuine USB-C leads and after market USB-A leads so think I may go source a new short A lead to try

May go and rob the kids bedrooms and see what I can find to try out and see if it works with anything they have

From the manual:
"Vehicle-Mobile Phone Interconnection
Note: Only the USB port on the driver's side can support vehicle-mobile phone interconnection."

Come on ........ no one reads the manual !!

Interesting result, i went on the hunt for some usb a cables and found a few, mostly extra long ones and none of them worked so i went and fetched a shorter branded one that i use for carplay in my work van and it worked straight away !

IMG_3366.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3366.JPG
    IMG_3366.JPG
    374.4 KB · Views: 150
Come on ........ no one reads the manual !!

Interesting result, i went on the hunt for some usb a cables and found a few, mostly extra long ones and none of them worked so i went and fetched a shorter branded one that i use for carplay in my work van and it worked straight away !

View attachment 8001
HA! Listen, reading the manual is all some of us have got until delivery day :ROFLMAO: .

Glad you were able to get it working - no doubt it'll help someone else down the line.

I only tried it with one cable and it worked.

I do know that my previous car was rather picky about what cables would work and which would not.

Mainly, cheap chinese knockoff cables were not good, while the original charging cable that came with the phone worked every time.

I suspect the main reason was the original cable supported fast charging and thus, the copper wires inside of the cable were thicker, while the chinese knockoff ones usually contains copper, about 1 atom in thickness :)

I normally buy belkin and anker stuff and it was an anker short lead out of my work van that sorted it, will have to get 1 or 2 on order !

Being so new i expected the USB C port to be the main one as it is in other vehicles i have experienced but learnt something there

I did also try the ports in the rear just to confirm and as expected they are charge only

My AA worked fine for a month, and now it's saying connect the USB cable. It's conneted and charging! And yes I'm not using the USB C connector as that is not not AA. Any thoughts anyone?

Mind you the inbuilt navigation is quite good, but why with all that height why have a short keyboard without the numbers visible!!

Yesterday apple came with Wonderfull news regarding apple CarPlay 03:38 Apple announces updates to CarPlay with iOS 16 YouTube 6 juni 2022

real hope that MG will support this in al models also the original MGZSEV
And from the end of 2024, every phone in the EU, must use the same chargeport, so atleast in the EU countries, apple will need to switch their iphones over to USB-C

I imagine, apple does not want to make 2 different models, with USB-C and lightening, so they are probably going to go 100% USB-C before the end of 2024.

Or omit the connector all together for wireless connectivity and wireless charging.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom