CarPlay usb lead solution

Caldosan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I can’t find the original thread but someone was pointing out that a standard usb connector to the CarPlay USB port fouled the smooth closure of the sliding cover. Can confirm that this style works well, doesn’t obstruct the lid closure and at 0.6 m long reach the side pocket into which you can slot your phone, not so long that you are fighting with wires in the footwell. Hope someone finds this useful.

Lid Vid

Last edited:
I can’t find the original thread but someone was pointing out that a standard usb connector to the CarPlay USB port fouled the smooth closure of the sliding cover. Can confirm that this style works well, doesn’t obstruct the lid closure and at 0.6 m long reach the side pocket into which you can slot your phone, not so long that you are fighting with wires in the footwell. Hope someone finds this useful.

Lid Vid

Amazon link
Don't know it it's just me but the amazon link didn't work, I think its this one you were pointing to?

Amazon product ASIN B082TXPJ9X

Yes that’s the one thanks for the help, tried to edit and failed to link again

Last edited:
I am seriously considering switching to an iPhone as no matter how many leads I try getting android auto to work is almost impossible.

I have an iphone for work use and this connects to CarPlay every time without fail.

9EA5D67C-72AC-4941-B444-9D346D661746.jpeg

Putting Amazon (and some others?) links in posts on this site doesn't play nice with Brave browser on an Android phone - and is probably broken on the Windows desktop version as well.

It seems to be the sites insistence on using a MEDIA tag and then mangling the rest of the URL I paste in, to suit.

Amazon product ASIN B082TXPJ9X

Last edited:
Putting Amazon (and some others?) links in posts on this site doesn't play nice with Brave browser on an Android phone - and is probably broken on the Windows desktop version as well.
They all work fine for me (Chrome on Windows 10).
I would add though - if you are going to buy from Amazon, remember to add a smile!
smile.amazon.co.uk is the same amazon site, butt lets you select a charity that receives a nominal amount (0.5% of net purchase price excluding vat, shipping etc) for all 'qualifying items' that you purchase (most physical goods seem to qualify. I think kindle books / streaming video and the like may be excluded)

For some reason, the link strips the 'smile' off the beginning when posted. Once you've chosen your charity with smile though, the normal amazon.co.uk site does remind you to go through the smile url.

These links don't show in Opera on pc but are ok in Android.

Is the best answer to this not a dongle that converts the system to wireless?

I am seriously considering switching to an iPhone as no matter how many leads I try getting android auto to work is almost impossible.

I have an iphone for work use and this connects to CarPlay every time without fail.
Depend on your phone, had a Huawei P20, would never connect, my Realme 7 does it automatically when I plug in...

Certainly an option. Not sure if it’s making the Bluetooth part redundant though. With the usb attachment you just use Siri anyway to control maps Spotify WhatsApp conversations and so on.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom