Cars on pavements for charging - going to be a common sight in the future

jared

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Photo sparks fierce debate on electric car charging points

I saw this story about the rage induced from someone parking their car on the pavement to reach the charger from their house to the car.
There are a many many houses out there who do not have simple home charging solutions - surely this sort of issue is only going to be more common as EV sales soar. The price per kWh going up and up for most public charging networks isn't helping either (as understandable as it is).

Photo sparks fierce debate on electric car charging points

I saw this story about the rage induced from someone parking their car on the pavement to reach the charger from their house to the car.
There are a many many houses out there who do not have simple home charging solutions - surely this sort of issue is only going to be more common as EV sales soar. The price per kWh going up and up for most public charging networks isn't helping either (as understandable as it is).
I guess it is, though there is one company at least that's "planning" to put charging sockets in lamp posts. My guess is that eventually you'll find small 7kw charging posts along all residential streets where there's no off street parking.
Whenever there's a problem like this, someone will come up with a solution.

There's a thread here on induction charging, that's a bit of a faff but I could see low power induction chargers working well in that situation. A small charge plate in the road that you can drive on top of. Of course there will be raging when someone parks badly but see any supermarket car park for that now :D

There's a thread here on induction charging, that's a bit of a faff but I could see low power induction chargers working well in that situation. A small charge plate in the road that you can drive on top of. Of course there will be raging when someone parks badly but see any supermarket car park for that now :D

Nice idea in theory but I'm against it because the MG5 doesn't support it 😂

We can't even get the potholes fixed, I don't see all the roads being electrified happening any time soon!

If the road surface consisted entirely of induction chargers, you wouldn't have any potholes. :ROFLMAO:

It appears to be more of an issue because it is an electric car. we wouldn’t be hearing about this if this was an ice car.

This is how they park on the pavement in my neck of the woods:
parking.jpg

This thread appears to have become more about the prospects of induction chargers being built into the road network in towns! Could we get back to the original title of ‘will parking on pavements become more common in the future?’.

Yes, it will be in my opinion and it is something that we, as responsible citizens as well as EV drivers, must cope with. However, in this situation, we must bear in mind the pedestrians who are inconvenienced by parking like this. The young mothers with buggies, loads of shopping and two or more little kids. The blind and physically disabled people who need to walk along that avenue. The seniors on their electric scooters. They should not be inconvenienced by having a car totally blocking the pathway! They should not be made to detour.

What this chap needs to do is to buy a good, heavy duty extension from Screwfix and a few metres of cable guards. Problem solved in a fairly cheap way, after all, he can’t be short of a few bob, can he? Far safer solution than his current approach.

In many authorities, the council would have been along fairly sharpish with a low-loader and grab. This car would have been scooped up, stuck on the back of their truck and the car impounded. Many hundreds of ££££ to get it back! Heaven only knows what damage to car and cable would have been sustained. I have seen this many times done to ICE vehicles.

Simple coverable channels in the pavement for cables would deal with this longer term.

Simple coverable channels in the pavement for cables would deal with this longer term.
Good idea! Fairly easy procedure and tidy as well! Could be a solution worth the authorities investigating. I’m sure that for a smallish sum, permission would be granted.

Oh er Missus! This pavement parking ban has just reared it's ugly head again. Latest update on pavement parking ban is that the analysis is now complete & they're just waiting on a ministerial decision, It's been narrowed down to two options.

Ministers are considering whether to create a civil obstruction offence or implement a national ban which could extend restrictions already in place in London across the country. TROs, pavement parking and network management: DfT on reform - The Transport Network

Common sense but... trip hazard!! the councils would be drowned by ambulance chasing lawyers.
Your right there, I'm an Access Auditor for the Disability Discrimination Act and the trouble we have with people parking on pavements is one of our main problems. I can't wait for people putting cables across pavements and covering them with little plastic humps. I can't see the goverment doing anything constructive any time soon. The electric charging companys (Pod Point, Instavolt etc) only put charging points where they are going to make money. My local Tescos put 4 7kwt and 1 50kwt as far from the entrance as possible in standard size parking spaces, not good if your charging socket is on the side or your disabled, I have only been able to use the 7kwt one once.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom