Cat pee smell šŸ™€

NeilA

Standard Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Has anyone had a sort of cat pee smell in their car? Ive had this almost since new and it's more apparent when it's being raining which leads me to think it's stagnant water coming in. I've had a good look under the dash and felt around the front carpets but can't see anything.

If not then it's the local cats, pretty sure it's not me lol but saying that I'm a 50 next week šŸ¤”

Is there a desiccant bag for the aircon somewhere? they can smell but unusual on a new car.

My wife is a cat lover and cat pea smell that is like nothing else really, once you recognise it, then you know it straight away.
We all know, that cats šŸˆā€ā¬› like to leave their scent in the same place regularly, so they tend to ā€œSprayā€ in the same location regularly.
The smell is extremely strong and very pungent, it lingers for days !.
If it was water ingress, you would expect there to be massive amounts of condensation evident in the car.
Not the normal accepted level, I mean loads !.
If you suspect water ingress, it maybe an idea to check around the boot space / wheel well of the car.
Worth a quick check check anyway.
Usual warning sign here, would be the rear windscreen missing up all of the time.

My wife is a cat lover and cat pea smell that is like nothing else really, once you recognise it, then you know it straight away.
We all know, that cats šŸˆā€ā¬› like to leave their scent in the same place regularly, so they tend to ā€œSprayā€ in the same location regularly.
The smell is extremely strong and very pungent, it lingers for days !.
If it was water ingress, you would expect there to be massive amounts of condensation evident in the car.
Not the normal accepted level, I mean loads !.
If you suspect water ingress, it maybe an idea to check around the boot space / wheel well of the car.
Worth a quick check check anyway.
Usual warning sign here, would be the rear windscreen missing up all of the time.
Thanks and note what you're saying. Well we have a cat as well and theres quite a few in the area too, so quite possibly it is them. Agreed it's a smell you never forget once you know.

Definitely more cat pee smell but didn't know if water getting in to the carpets would smell similar. Seem strange how strong the smell is when I first enter the car and seem more on wet days like the past week. Yes agreed I would be experiencing more condensation which I'm not. I did experience the condensation issue for a few months from new but that ok now too.

This has got me wondering now if a cat has been in while I've been cleaning the car and it's just lingering smell from way back still.

Thanks, that's got thinking more and shall investigate further.

Just off to get more air fresheners!

Having read the above, all valid stuff, can I say that my car had a strange smell for months when new. We put it down to Chinese plastics. All gone now.

16154676241908404550698649385494.jpg

Well I'll give it a good spray for now and check it out more the weekend. It's not going away that easy I know. I did wonder about the plastics as didn't have the new car smell for long.

Oh well could be worst. It's just funny when someone gets in the car and their trying to be polite not saying anything about the smell

Have you contacted the dealer about it?

Well I'll give it a good spray for now and check it out more the weekend. It's not going away that easy I know. I did wonder about the plastics as didn't have the new car smell for long.

Oh well could be worst. It's just funny when someone gets in the car and their trying to be polite not saying anything about the smell
Fabreze spray soon gets rid of cat odour.

Googled "what else smells like cat pee".
"That distinctive odor can be an indication of a mold problem. Certain types of mold have a smell similar to cat urine, including dangerous toxic black mold, which should be remediated by a professional. Another source of cat urine odor is ornamental boxwood, a common landscaping shrub."

No I haven't spoken to a dealer as yet but might be worth doing before the 1st service. Its been like this since I took delivery last September, some days not as smelly but probably because I've got used to it. Seems worst recently which is what spurred me to ask here. There's a few other issues which need addressing so will contact them tomorrow.

We have a service plan with Summit Garage Dudley, who seemed to be well reviewed so will see how it goes.

Thanks for the input and will hopefully get to bottom of this to report back.

Whenever I've smelt cat wee in a car, its because I just used the screen wash, sometimes that stuff can really stink.

Well I'm pleased to say so far I think cat pee smell has gone. Since my last post I cleaned the carpets with just some soapy water and odour spray, it's hasn't returned at yet. Slightly embarrassed that it might of been our cat who did the deed whilst I was washing the car way back.

šŸ˜

I hope you solve this - nothing worse!
I had a cat that peed in my brand new violin case years ago. I think the animal glue smell attracted him - needless to say, I was never fond of that caseā€¦or that cat.

I hope you solve this - nothing worse!
I had a cat that peed in my brand new violin case years ago. I think the animal glue smell attracted him - needless to say, I was never fond of that caseā€¦or that cat.
Probably the smell of cat gut that the bow hair is made of.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom