Cat pee smell šŸ™€

One thing I have had in the past with a really bad smell, was due to some cheap and very nasty screen wash, didn't take long to realise where the smell was coming from, but to a while to flush out the washer tank with a hose.

One thing I have had in the past with a really bad smell, was due to some cheap and very nasty screen wash, didn't take long to realise where the smell was coming from, but to a while to flush out the washer tank with a hose.
I had that many years ago when I used some pure methanol as a screen wash.
Once the level went down I topped it up with methylated spirits, which smelled much better, but it turned my washer pipes purple.

Well I'm pleased to say so far I think cat pee smell has gone. Since my last post I cleaned the carpets with just some soapy water and odour spray, it's hasn't returned at yet. Slightly embarrassed that it might of been our cat who did the deed whilst I was washing the car way back.

šŸ˜
Hi Neil I know this thread is quite old so you may not pick this up but I wanted to let you know you are not going mad, we have exactly the same smell in our MG EV. It comes and goes but it seems to get worse when we use the A/C. Having googled this, it could be mould coming through the air vents. Weird as far less than a year old. There are some suggestions on Google how to fix this.

Hi Neil I know this thread is quite old so you may not pick this up but I wanted to let you know you are not going mad, we have exactly the same smell in our MG EV. It comes and goes but it seems to get worse when we use the A/C. Having googled this, it could be mould coming through the air vents. Weird as far less than a year old. There are some suggestions on Google how to fix this.

We have a mg zs Ev just over a year old and has also a bad smell of cat wee has anyone got to the bottom of this.

We have the same. The car is just over a year old and is more prevelant with rainy weather. I had my service and they did an air system clean and fresh but still have the smell. I don't think it is from the vents....

Take the mats out and see if the smell is still there. I've noticed a smell after it has been raining and wet shoes have made them damp.

I have this also. Tried carpets spray, got rid for a bit but I notice it when first in the car and when I put the hvac on regardless of window defrost or for the cabin then after a while it goes (not sure if I'm used to it by then) it has first service in about 2 weeks so I will mention it and say got advice off here also just in case a bigger issue. But like above no major water ingress yes alot of condensation but had issue from day 1. If I get news I will pass on.

I have this. I think I've traced it to the wind deflector for the sunroof is getting wet. Mine has been in 3 times to get it fixed. They've found the panoramic roof is leaking water into the sunroof channels & soaking the wind deflector. Mine is going in Jan 29th to have the full sunroof taken out & resealed to stop the leak. (hopefully)
Mine suffers massively with condensation.
It's a 2022 LR Trophy

I have this. I think I've traced it to the wind deflector for the sunroof is getting wet. Mine has been in 3 times to get it fixed. They've found the panoramic roof is leaking water into the sunroof channels & soaking the wind deflector. Mine is going in Jan 29th to have the full sunroof taken out & resealed to stop the leak. (hopefully)
Mine suffers massively with condensation.
It's a 2022 LR Trophy
They won't fix that as it's normal, it's impossible to hermetically seal the sunroof, that's why the channel and the drain pipes are there.
I used to just make sure I opened the roof a little now and then to dry the deflector out.

They won't fix that as it's normal, it's impossible to hermetically seal the sunroof, that's why the channel and the drain pipes are there.
I used to just make sure I opened the roof a little now and then to dry the deflector out.
They've found a leak, as they used dye. You can smell the damp. It's going in for 2 weeks for them to take the whole glass roof out & reseal. We'll see what happens. It's the wind deflector that smells when wet & that's all the time šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

They've found a leak, as they used dye. You can smell the damp. It's going in for 2 weeks for them to take the whole glass roof out & reseal. We'll see what happens. It's the wind deflector that smells when wet & that's all the time šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
Oh you mean a leak that's going past the actual mounting seal. (y)

Have you had any follow-up news on this. Did they reseal it & has this sorted the problem? I have the same cats pee smell. After a month+ being closed I opened my pano roof (22 LR Trophy) & the wind guard netting was wet. So wondering if I have the same problem?
Is there a way of making sure the 'drain pipes' previously mentioned by 'Kithmo' are unblocked and working?
Thankyou.

I'm picking the car up this afternoon. The garage have had it for just over 3 weeks. They've stripped the sunroof down & put back together. They say some adjustment was made. I'll get more details when I pick it up. They've assured me it's stayed dry since we've had plenty of rain.

The smell was definitely coming from the wind deflector. They'd checked the drain holes for blockages on 3 previous visits.

Fingers crossed fixed this time.

Check to see if the sunroof is sitting low when closed on the seal. This is where I suspect the water is getting in at the front.

I'm picking the car up this afternoon. The garage have had it for just over 3 weeks. They've stripped the sunroof down & put back together. They say some adjustment was made. I'll get more details when I pick it up. They've assured me it's stayed dry since we've had plenty of rain.

The smell was definitely coming from the wind deflector. They'd checked the drain holes for blockages on 3 previous visits.

Fingers crossed fixed this time.

Check to see if the sunroof is sitting low when closed on the seal. This is where I suspect the water is getting in at the front.
Hope it solves the problem for you.
Thank-you for the suggestion. I haven't noticed my panoramic roof sitting lower than roof, but I'll check again.
I'll wait for our next dry day (probably May :) ) and investigate further.

The sky roof is designed with accepting a small amount of water, otherwise there would be no requirement for the built in drain channel surround, plus drain pipes that take the excess water via the drain pipes and then onto the outside of the car.
I know the ZS EV has at least two pipes that channel excess water via pipes locatatted under the rear roof lining.
Each of these pipes pass down each "C" pillar and away to the outside.
I will inclose a link to a fellow member who had a water leak, that he investigated and fixed himself.

The sky roof is designed with accepting a small amount of water, otherwise there would be no requirement for the built in drain channel surround, plus drain pipes that take the excess water via the drain pipes and then onto the outside of the car.
I know the ZS EV has at least two pipes that channel excess water via pipes locatatted under the rear roof lining.
Each of these pipes pass down each "C" pillar and away to the outside.
I will inclose a link to a fellow member who had a water leak, that he investigated and fixed himself.

Thank-you to you both.. I'll investigate the best I can to avoid a trip to the dealership.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom