CCS Chargers Near Betws Y Coed?

Darren D

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Looking for a bit of a heads up on Chargers in North Wales. We are staying in Betws Y Coed at a cottage without charging facilities. We won't need to charge to get there. I can see that there are CCS chargers at Ffestiniog and Porthmadog (pogo?), anyone used them? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Not used any around there so can't really comment but when we went to Llandudno from Leeds for a few days we used the Osprey at St Asaph each way. (Electroverse 75p or 63p between 7pm-11pm ) Nice pub for a coffee and loo. Going to give us plenty for travelling about while there and then return to top up for journey home.
I notice now that there are chargers at Kinmel east and west a bit further up on the A55. evpoint at 62p on Electroverse. If you use those any comments would be useful such as any facilities, as fancying a trip to Rhyl sometime.
Enjoy the battery sapping M62 climbs. :)

Any possibility of taking a good quality extension lead, something to wrap up (weather protect) the extension socket, and a granny charge lead? That way you could possibly slow-charge your car at the cottage. (I've done that a few times when I've been away). :)

Any possibility of taking a good quality extension lead, something to wrap up (weather protect) the extension socket, and a granny charge lead? That way you could possibly slow-charge your car at the cottage. (I've done that a few times when I've been away). :)
I'd do that if permitted to do so by the owner. I'd ask ( and be preared to pay) primarily to ensure the plug socket the granny or extension was plugging into, and the wiring was up to spec. I would not want to be be caught up in a fire at the property just to save a few quid.

I'd do that if permitted to do so by the owner. I'd ask ( and be preared to pay) primarily to ensure the plug socket the granny or extension was plugging into, and the wiring was up to spec. I would not want to be be caught up in a fire at the property just to save a few quid.
T&C's state no changing, that said, bit academic really as parking is a walk away 🙄

If you are staying at Betws Y Coed there is a one rapid charger situated in the hotel called the Gwydyr.
It’s on the main road about a mile past the shell garage on the left.
Also I believe they have a couple of 7 Kw wall boxes around the back of the hotel.
Also the hotel Wellington ( just before the shell garage ) has a couple of Rolec 7kw wall boxes on the front of the hotel.
You can see them as you drive past.
Warning - The rapid is often blocked by ICE cars using the EV space to shop in the out door clothing shop behind the charger on the front !.
The EV space needs repairing TBH.

If you are staying at Betws Y Coed there is a one rapid charger situated in the hotel called the Gwydyr.
It’s on the main road about a mile past the shell garage on the left.
Also I believe they have a couple of 7 Kw wall boxes around the back of the hotel.
Also the hotel Wellington ( just before the shell garage ) has a couple of Rolec 7kw wall boxes on the front of the hotel.
You can see them as you drive past.
Warning - The rapid is often blocked by ICE cars using the EV space to shop in the out door clothing shop behind the charger on the front !.
The EV space needs repairing TBH.
Thanks for the information, appreciated.

If you're out and visiting Anglessey, they have a number of Swarko chargers which are 49p with first being in Menia Bridge by the library.

Enjoy your break in a gorgeous part of Wales.
Thanks for that, are they tap and play or will I need their app?

I suddenly remember now trying one of the 7 Kw chargers at the Tesco store in Portmadog with our Gen1 ZS EV.
I am pretty sure they were Pod Point units ?.
They are plug and play but I am pretty sure you will need to download the free Pod Point App onto your phone, as many of these P. P. units time out after 15 minutes of use if you don’t confirm your charging session in the App.
Each P.P. unit has its own ID name on the unit itself, you just confirm the name of the unit you are using in the App and you’re all sorted ✅.
Handy if you needed some provisions for your stay back at the cottage, if you are in that location maybe ?.
Charge and shop at the same time 👍.
Literally - Winner winner chicken diner 🤣.

IMG_1706.jpeg

IMG_1705.jpeg

Last edited:
All the Tesco stores I've used are Pod Point . Be careful though , some Tesco stores limit parking times , check the signage carefully or it could be an expensive charging session

Brilliant, still have £13 on my Podpoint app from when I went to Scotland earlier in the year....after a few disastrous attempts with ChargePlace Scotland chargers...unfortunately their Rfid card didn't arrive before we set off, but we found a Podpoint at the Tesco in Dingwall....At least I have a shiny ChargePlace card ready for next time. A couple of weeks before we go, so if anything else pops into your head just let me know. Thanks
Darren

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom