Changing brake light bulb - how?

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Our 3 week old Trophy has blown an offside brake light bulb so I need to replace it. Simples really, eh?

Here lies the problem - how to access the bulb holder and light cluster. The manual tells you what bulb (have got one) but that's it. Can't see any easy access, like flaps to pull away. Do I need to start pulling out big bits of trim or what?

Or maybe no one's ever had to do this and this is a first for us all :confused:

Our 3 week old Trophy has blown an offside brake light bulb so I need to replace it. Simples really, eh?

Here lies the problem - how to access the bulb holder and light cluster. The manual tells you what bulb (have got one) but that's it. Can't see any easy access, like flaps to pull away. Do I need to start pulling out big bits of trim or what?

Or maybe no one's ever had to do this and this is a first for us all :confused:
Not sure if this helps at all, but here is process for the Pre - Face lift MG5 model I believe ?.
The whole cluster needs to be removed, then access to the lamps ( bulbs ) can be found.

MG5 Lights 1 2023-01-21 at 19.01.46.png

MG5 Lights 2 2023-01-21 at 19.01.26.png

MG5 Lights 3 2023-01-21 at 19.01.58.png

did you get a warning on the dash that a bulb had blown
No, because if what others have said, the car's not full Canbus.

Due to work, the earliest I can get to any MG dealer is going to be the 31st January. I have a bulb and it should be no more than a 10 minute job, if that.

Not sure if this helps at all, but here is process for the Pre - Face lift MG5 model I believe ?.
The whole cluster needs to be removed, then access to the lamps ( bulbs ) can be found.

View attachment 14678

View attachment 14679

View attachment 14680

Many thanks. Will have a look this morning. The bit I might have overlooked is "remove cover trim" as it's not that obvious and looks part of the lamp assembly. As to why MG omitted this bulb info in the FL manual is a mystery.

Last edited:
Big thanks to LovemyEV - we're in!. Trim removed, undid two nuts, removed cluster, swapped out bulbs and refitted. Took less than 10 minutes all in compared with how many hours of my time if I'd had to go to a dealer for something I'm more than capable of doing.

Have now downloaded the pre FL MG5 manual as it has much more info than the FL manual.

The knowledge and wisdom of this forum is amazing - thank you all (y)(y)

Big thanks to LovemyEV - we're in!. Trim removed, undid two nuts, removed cluster, swapped out bulbs and refitted. Took less than 10 minutes all in compared with how many hours of my time if I'd had to go to a dealer for something I'm more than capable of doing.

Have now downloaded the pre FL MG5 manual as it has much more info than the FL manual.

The knowledge and wisdom of this forum is amazing - thank you all (y)(y)
You are very welcome, glad it worked out for you !.
I just took a chance that the rear light cluster would be retained in the same way on the face lift model as the original MG5.

Well done with the info Jeff, only just seen this thread and yes Pebble good idea to download the Pre FL 5 handbook lots of things will be the same especially the rear lights so good to have for anyone getting the face lifted car.
Les

Fairly similar situation when the ZS EV was upgraded from the original Gen 1 model, to the Gen 2 face lift model.
A LOT of very welcomed improvements, but fundamentally the same car on the same platform, hiding under neath I guess !.
Main legacy manufacturers have done the same, after a couple of years of production, by adding some improvements and even a new look to the front end of the car ( hence the name, face lift was created ) it then regenerated a new, fresh interest in the established model, just as sales have started to slightly decline.
Typical example of this would be when VW tweaked / refreshed the Golf Mk7 and released it as the 7.5 model !.
Which I believe was a good way of saying:-
“Look folks, we know this is NOT a totally brand new design, but we have gone as far as we would like too go on this Mk 7 platform, by now expanding it to the 7.5 model.
But please stay tuned for the ALL new Mk 8 model Golf, coming to a VW showroom close to you real soon’.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom