Charge cards and apps

billybonfire3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Those of you who already drive can you tell me what charge cards and apps you have found a must have.

I've decided on zapmap instead of plug share.

Have got the apps for.

Podpoint as cheapest will use this as much I can
BP pulse as a free council one near by I can use
And shell recharge as I believe you need charge card to use and don't want to only have them available to use and not already registered a charge card.

Have I missed any must haves?

Thanks

I Just have the Pod-Point app as I have a Pod-Point home charger and the Tesco chargers are free. On long trips, I only use contactless chargers as I refuse to jump through any hoops that fossil fuel drivers don't have to.

You can set a filter in Zap-Map to find only contactless chargers if you prefer.

You got most of the must haves.
You will find the PodPoint app is needed to start free supermarket EVSEs.
I have used Instavolt a few times they cost a bit more but are reliable and rapid.
If you are with Octopus Energy then get the Electric Juice card as it has no pre authorisation fees and covers a number of networks

You may find getting some RFID cards a bit of a problem at the moment.
The chip shortage has buggered things up a bit !.
I pulled up to one of the public posts at the Trafford Centre in Manchester last week.
There where two people already trying to get a charge to commence on their cars.
One was a Tesla model 3 and the second was a PHEV Cupra.
Both where frantically trying to get the App to commence a charge.
I have owned one these required RFID cards for almost two years now.
We pulled up, waved the card at the reader on the post, plugged in and we are charging in no time.
I helped the couple to get their Cupra starting to charge, but the guy in the model 3 had completely lost it, and was in a full blown rant, with somebody on his phone !.
I offered to help him, but he was at level ten on the stress gauge to be honest.
I guess it was given the operator of the post some real stick !.
He was screaming that he had downloaded the App and entered all of his details and methord of payment and he STILL could not get the post to charge his car.
In most cases, IF you can get a RFID card, then get one.
App's are not the best option to be fair.
E.G. - Why would you put an EV charging on the bottom level of a multi story car park, when the mobile phone reception is rubbish !.
Try getting the App to work down there.

You may find getting some RFID cards a bit of a problem at the moment.
The chip shortage has buggered things up a bit !.
I pulled up to one of the public posts at the Trafford Centre in Manchester last week.
There where two people already trying to get a charge to commence on their cars.
One was a Tesla model 3 and the second was a PHEV Cupra.
Both where frantically trying to get the App to commence a charge.
I have owned one these required RFID cards for almost two years now.
We pulled up, waved the card at the reader on the post, plugged in and we are charging in no time.
I helped the couple to get their Cupra starting to charge, but the guy in the model 3 had completely lost it, and was in a full blown rant, with somebody on his phone !.
I offered to help him, but he was at level ten on the stress gauge to be honest.
I guess it was given the operator of the post some real stick !.
He was screaming that he had downloaded the App and entered all of his details and methord of payment and he STILL could not get the post to charge his car.
In most cases, IF you can get a RFID card, then get one.
App's are not the best option to be fair.
E.G. - Why would you put an EV charging on the bottom level of a multi story car park, when the mobile phone reception is rubbish !.
Try getting the App to work down there.
Which RFID cards do you use that may be useful?

This is all that I use. I am yet to use Plugshare though. Also make sure you top up money into Podpoint account before using if its not free.
Screenshot_20220227-194231_One UI Home.jpg

Some ideas posted here:

Which RFID cards do you use that may be useful?
I have a separate wallet to house the RFID cards that I have collected along the way :ROFLMAO: .
Before I list them,I should say that I do not use them on a regular basis though.
So, I have BP pulse ( but have cancelled my subscription after the last price incease ).
Shell Recharge.
Pod Point ( which is not that necessary and took an absolute age to get ).
Genie Point.
The old Ecotricity Electric Highway.
Be.EV - Which is the card I used last week in Manchester.
There are a LOT of charges in the Manchester area running on this type of system.
I believe it is operated in conjunction with Manchester Greater Council ?.
As more and more chargers come on line, hopefully we can get rid of all of this plastic because the new units read your bank card.

I have a separate wallet to house the RFID cards that I have collected along the way :ROFLMAO: .
Before I list them,I should say that I do not use them on a regular basis though.
So, I have BP pulse ( but have cancelled my subscription after the last price incease ).
Shell Recharge.
Pod Point ( which is not that necessary and took an absolute age to get ).
Genie Point.
The old Ecotricity Electric Highway.
Be.EV - Which is the card I used last week in Manchester.
There are a LOT of charges in the Manchester area running on this type of system.
I believe it is operated in conjunction with Manchester Greater Council ?.
As more and more chargers come on line, hopefully we can get rid of all of this plastic because the new units read your bank card.
May I ask how you managed to cancel your BP Pulse please? I am struggling to find a way to do so. Thanks.

May I ask how you managed to cancel your BP Pulse please? I am struggling to find a way to do so. Thanks.
No problem - I did it via the App on my phone if I remember correctly ?.
Their web site displays this info.

11 Cancellation​

11.1 In order to request the closure of your Account please contact bp pulse by email at [email protected]
11.2 Upon cancellation of your Account or deletion of your personal data, bp pulse may be required to retain some of your information to comply with legal and financial regulations. Please see our Privacy Notice for further information about how we retain customer information.
11.3 bp pulse reserves the right to suspend or immediately cancel your access to the bp pulse network, any of the Services, any functionality of the Website and/or Apps, or your specific Account, with or without cause or notice, at any time.
11.4 Where bp pulse suspends or cancels your Account as a result of you breaching these Terms, you will not be permitted to create a new account to circumvent the suspension or cancellation.
11.5 From the date of suspension or cancellation of your Account, you shall not be able to access the bp pulse network for the purposes of charging your electric vehicle.
11.6 All provisions of the Terms that by their nature should survive termination will survive termination including, without limitation, ownership provisions, indemnities and limitations of liability.

Yeah - I did via the App on my phone !.
Here is my post I used at the time.
"Yeah - I had the e.mail from BP Pulse myself.
I have the Polar Plus subscription that has had little use to be fare.
I did promise myself, that if they increased the charges, then I would cancel my sub.
This I did from the App on my phone.
You could just stop your direct debit with your bank ?.

Hi

Those of you who already drive can you tell me what charge cards and apps you have found a must have.

I've decided on zapmap instead of plug share.

Have got the apps for.

Podpoint as cheapest will use this as much I can
BP pulse as a free council one near by I can use
And shell recharge as I believe you need charge card to use and don't want to only have them available to use and not already registered a charge card.

Have I missed any must haves?

Thanks
Shell Recharge is contactless as well, the card though prevents pre-authorisation charges and you get the bill later.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom