Charge Limit for ZS EV facelift variant

saurav

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello everyone. I recently bought a ZS EV of 320 km range. User manual says it's using LFP battery chemistry. I would like to know the charge limit for it. I mean should I charge it to 100% or 80%?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone. I recently bought a ZS EV of 320 KM range. User manual says its using LFP battery chemistry. I would like to know the charge limit for it. I mean should I charge it to 100% or 80%?
If it's an LFP then you have the standard (shorter) range version. It won't let you set the charge limit to anything other than 100% (you can drag the charging bar to something other than 100% but as soon as you exit that screen and re-enter, you'll see it's reverted back to 100% again).

Only the long range versions can have their maximum charge setting altered.

I'm theory you could try and time charges etc to limit the charge state but LFP batteries are more resilient to full charging and MG have clearly decided that the full charge and subsequent management of its Battery Management System is worth any negligible and probably not noticeable trade off.

Standard range cars are fitted with the LFP battery while long range versions have the NMC battery chemistry.
LFP batteries can find it more difficult to estimate / predict the range unless they are charged to 100% which has no ill effects on the longer life of the pack.
This is apparently why the standard range models do not require the facility to adjust the charging level below 100%.
Long range yes of course !.

Lion batteries have a max voltage range of 2.5 to 4.2 volts per cell so when you charge a long range car to 100% it stops at 400V so in reality your charge is not 100% of the total capacity of each cell. also when you think the battery is fully depleted it still has not reached tis minimum. This means that there is some unused capacity at the top and bottom of the battery capacity. This is done to ensure the battery life of the pack is not reduced by charging.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom