Charge Limitation

vcantrill

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My LR Trophy Connect that I collected on 22nd September.
Drove from Shropshire to Andover on 23rd did not charge during trip. Left car for two weeks whilst on holiday.
Collected car 8th October, drove car to Shell Charger could not get it charge. Then went to Osprey charger, charged to 80%. (Whilst I was charging, a driver reversing's into change space next to me bump my wing above drivers side wheel arch) Drove home all ok. Put in on my Granny charger at home stopped at 40%
Since then no matter what charger I use Granny, 7kw, fast , super fast, battery charge stops at 40%.
Anyone else had this?

Some times when I look at changing on the app I press the battery and it goes to battery management page but where I tapped the battery it has moved the charge set limit so easily done

I have the 2022 non extended range model and was told by the dealer that only the 2022 extended range version had the ability to limit the charge to say 80%. When I use the App and pull the pointer down to 80% it stays there for a few seconds and then jumps back to 100%. As a result I can only charge to 100%. This seems to be a crazy state of affairs for an electric car. Has anyone else had this problem>

I have the 2022 non extended range model and was told by the dealer that only the 2022 extended range version had the ability to limit the charge to say 80%. When I use the App and pull the pointer down to 80% it stays there for a few seconds and then jumps back to 100%. As a result I can only charge to 100%. This seems to be a crazy state of affairs for an electric car. Has anyone else had this problem>
This is right as the standard range has been made to charge to 100% the only thing that is silly is the app should not show that option would save confusion

The SR & LR have two different HV battery chemistry types.
SR was intended by MG to be charged to 100% SOC on placing on charge and can not be reduced to a lower SOC.
Unless the charge is terminated early, by manual intervention by the owner.
This has been set / recommended process set out by MG for that model.
The LR is completely different beast with regards to this process and charging to 80% SOC is recommend for general daily usage and then only charging to 100% SOC when you have the longer trips to make and therefore require the maximum range of the larger battery.
For this reason, MG provided the LR model with a sliding bar config in the charging screen and in the App for this very reason.
This allows the owner to choose between different levels of SOC to suit their journey types.
As @N2STY has correctly stated, having the slide control included in the info unit and the App for the SR was an complete oversight and has no purpose really on the SR model.
When the ZS EV face lift was first released, I honestly thought that SR owners where a little shocked and puzzled to find out they could not set their required SOC level for themselves ?.
Apparently, the SR model battery pack benefits from being charged to 100% every single time, while the pack in the LR does not favour this process.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom