Charge Master/BP Pulse

SCB86

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Looking for info please.

Charged at a rapid charger for the first time a BP Pulse/Charge Master.
The machine took £15 as a deposit and then when the charge was done it said the bill was £8-odd and they then refunded the £15.

I've not had a payment leave my account and it's 4 days later.

Can anyone shed light on this? Or am I lucky and found a free vend (wishful thinking)

How did they give you the refund, into your bank ?
I'd guess it was free or they would have taken the £8 off the £15 deposit.
Last time I used one last September, it was plug the car in, flash the bank card, £1.50 connection fee then flash the bank card at the end to stop the charge and pay and the £1.50 was included in the cost of the charge.

Maybe it was on free vend then! I got the £15 refund on my card probably less than a minute after presenting my card to the machine to end the charge.

Must have been a free vend - went and did the same today and was charged for electricity I'd used.
55 minutes to go from 67% to 100%

On this point of using rapid chargers etc.
It'll be very rare we intend on using them.

To be prepared though; What charger accounts do you all suggest I setup?

On the way home from picking up the car I had to use an Ecotricity charge point. I thought they'd pretty much all take a contactless card by now, but it would appear not. So I had to quickly install the app and register etc.

All the ones I've seen in the Midlands are contactless. I signed up for load of different apps and they weren't necessary.

The reliability of the BP / Polar / Pulse "App's" have come under a lot of stick !.
Some of the post's do take payment by bank card, but not all.
Polar have an RFID card that is much more reliable, however to get the "Polar Plus" RFID you have to pay for a monthly subscription.

I was forced to use BP this evening, one of the new 150kW chargers. I waived my card at it for ages before giving up and loving in to app (which thankfully worked). The instruction on screen said "insert card" which certainly wasn't helpful, as I'm sure it's contactless only?

Instavolt app gives you free £5 when installing & using referral code: zGzna

Have to spend few pounds before credited.

Last edited:
The reliability of the BP / Polar / Pulse "App's" have come under a lot of stick !.
Some of the post's do take payment by bank card, but not all.
Polar have an RFID card that is much more reliable, however to get the "Polar Plus" RFID you have to pay for a monthly subscription.
BP Polar Pulse RFID costs £7.85/month but you only pay half price (if not free) per kWh on RAPID. Their LIVE Map is not particularly accurate and I've heard the App is very hit and miss.

I find the RFID very convenient, quick and reliable to connect. Pre-Covid I was averaging about 14p/kWh for all my monthly out and about charging including a mix of Free, RAPID and the monthly fee.

Last year they did give 2 months free subscription because of travel restrictions. They also operate a Rewards scheme where you can cash in points for 1 months free subscription which I have received several times.

The price has remained the same for over 4 years. There is much more choice available now so I'm not sure if I will continue with the subscription if they put it up.

I tend to use BP Pulse (formerly Polar) most for rapid charging. I still have the Polar RFID card which still works.
Must have been a free vend - went and did the same today and was charged for electricity I'd used.
55 minutes to go from 67% to 100%
I wouldn't recommend charging more than you actually need to get to your next destination. That last 10% from 90% to 100% charges very slowly. And presumably electricity is cheaper at home?

The instruction on screen said "insert card" which certainly wasn't helpful, as I'm sure it's contactless only?
That's what most payment devices say on screen. It would be too many characters and too confusing a message for customers to more accurately say
Insert card or use contactless if the payment is £45 or less.

And presumably electricity is cheaper at home?
I don't have home charging. I have a free 7KW PodPoint in my village. I park my old ICE car near the charger and then when I charge the MG I take the ICE car home.

I've just ticked over 2000 miles and I've only charged twice rapid charging. 200o miles and it's cost me less than £5.

To do the same mileage in my ICE car would cost £600!

I tend to use BP Pulse (formerly Polar) most for rapid charging. I still have the Polar RFID card which still works.

I wouldn't recommend charging more than you actually need to get to your next destination. That last 10% from 90% to 100% charges very slowly. And presumably electricity is cheaper at home?

That's what most payment devices say on screen. It would be too many characters and too confusing a message for customers to more accurately say
They could say "scan card" or "swipe card". Would save looking for a slot (in the dark)

They could say "scan card" or "swipe card". Would save looking for a slot (in the dark)
Don't they have full card processing so cards can be inserted plus contactless? I think they use a standard card payment unit plus software which wouldn't be possible to change.
First world problem.

Don't they have full card processing so cards can be inserted plus contactless? I think they use a standard card payment unit plus software which wouldn't be possible to change.
First world problem.
If so, it isn't obvious

Went to rapid charge today and the touchscreen on the charger wasn't working. Limped to the next one and all went well until about 76% then the charger threw a wobbly, cancelled the charge but wouldn't unlock the cable from my ZS.
Ended up having to press the emergency stop button.

Not impressed
PXL_20210222_120553499.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom