Charge place Scotland 100kw and 150kw won’t start charge on my MG5, Any thoughts?

Stuart74

Standard Member
Reaction score
I found a 100kw and 150kw Charge place Scotland near my home yesterday and thought I’d give my MG5 Exclusive a quick top up.
The car connected to both but I got errors not able to charge on the charger.
The car just showed connected not charging.
I thought the car would just restrict the charge to the maximum 80kw?
But nothing.
Is it the chargers, the cars BMS? Or can the car simply not use these faster chargers?
I’m a bit concerned as there are quite a lot of the new 100kw plus chargers available but we might not be able to use them and the 50kw ones may get replaced over time.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

I've found that some of the 150kw chargers will not ramp up to a decent charge rate on my MG5 SR when they will on others but not had one simply not start.

I did hear someone say that they had to press start before plugging the lead into the car to get one to work. I guess it depends on whose chargers they are though. CPS chargers come from many manufacturers, it just depends on who bought them and from whom.

I found a 100kw and 150kw Charge place Scotland near my home yesterday and thought I’d give my MG5 Exclusive a quick top up.
The car connected to both but I got errors not able to charge on the charger.
The car just showed connected not charging.
I thought the car would just restrict the charge to the maximum 80kw?
But nothing.
Is it the chargers, the cars BMS? Or can the car simply not use these faster chargers?
I’m a bit concerned as there are quite a lot of the new 100kw plus chargers available but we might not be able to use them and the 50kw ones may get replaced over time.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
I've used MFG 150kW units - but all these headline figures are a touch misleading, they are only 150kW on 800V cars, on an MG which is 400V you'll only get a theoretical 100kW speed. Saying that, I did see the screen show 86kW charge speed. Also, a 120kW unit will only give around 80kW on a 400V car - which is fine for an MG5 anyway. The car should negotiate a speed with the charger based on what the BMS can handle at the temperature and current charge level (my terminology or details on how this works might not be 100% correct - but basically, it should work fine).

Sounds like these particular units might not like your car though, perhaps they're fault or just fussy! There is one 50kW unit near me that sometimes fails to starts, the adjacent one starts every time though. I've heard some ID.3 and Volvo/Polestar owners complain about certain networks/units too.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom