Charge point operators - good 'uns and bad 'uns

Fluffykins

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Your opinions please on charge point operators: good, bad, reliable or not, plus whether or not contactless is available or if payment is just in a walled garden.

I suppose we'll need to separate between the 3-7kW, 22-49kW and anything greater than 50kW,

It'll be interesting to see how the oil companies - BP and Shell etc. - shape up.

That's a question that might work well for England with it's multiple networks but not in other countries.
Northern Ireland has one network with one supplier and is supposedly so bad EV drivers are going back to ice (the papers say)
Scotland has one main government network which encompasses chargers from different suppliers and it generally works well if not perfectly. (also have smaller no's of BP Shell Instavolt, Osprey etc..)

Several of the rapid chargers just don't seem to work with my MG .. often leaves the battery offline and can't start up the motor afterwards.

Instavolt is the most reliable, in my view.

P.S. Instavolt App code: zGzna
For free £5 off your first charge via the App, has to be over £5 to work.

Used Gridserve at service stops a few times. I they are my preferred network.
They have screens so I don't need an app just to start the charge.
They charge 30p which has (unfortunately) become cheap.
Good customer service. After a series of unforunte events I was down to 10% battery and pulled into a services with 2 chargers. Plugged the car, authorised my credit card but then wouldn't actually start the charge (communication error) but also wouldn't release the cable. This was around 12:45 in the morning on a bank holiday. I called the number on the machine and got through to someone in a few rings. Eventually got the car charging and was able to get home. Tred to call instavolt around noon on a Sunday for a similar issue and nobody ever answered the phone.

I just wish they (or ideally the MG5 itself) had an app so I could see the charge status without having to keep coming back to the car and see the charge costs / history.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom